Our View-Obama expected to sign hate crimes bill

We have at least some good news folks. No, tuition isn’t decreasing and textbooks are not getting any cheaper, but the men and women of the United States Senate finally found a dictionary — and used it.

Imagine the stark terror racing through Matthew Shepard’s mind when he was tortured and beaten to death in Laramie, Wyo. in 1998. His offense? He was gay.

Picture the shear horror James Byrd Jr. must have felt while being beaten then dragged to death by white supremacists in Jasper, Texas a few months earlier. His offense? He was black.

Neither Shepard or Byrd committed any other crime than being in the wrong place at the right time; victimized by people who believed it was their right to take lives based on hatred.

After nearly a decade, the Senate has redefined and expanded on what is and can be considered a hate crime by extending federal protection to people who have been victimized because of sexual orientation.

The Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Protection Act, on its way to the desk of President Obama where he’s expected to sign it tomorrow, was first passed in the House of Representatives with the vote of 281-146, then passed by the Senate with a 68-29 tally.

The bill, which broadens the definition of hate crimes, includes crimes committed against a person because of sexual orientation and gender identity. Not only does it offer federal protection to victims, it gives the federal government authority to prosecute violent homophobic crimes if local or state governments refuse to. Say goodbye to hate and say hello to progress.

Although former President George W. Bush threatened to veto a similar bill during his years in office, Obama has shown much more support. If the bill passes, as it should, $5 million dollars will be allocated annually to the U.S. Justice Department to assist local agencies — when requested — on how to deal with hate crimes that don’t necessarily just involve color or gender.

This is one small progressive step forward for the United States, but one giant leap for victims of homophobic crimes.

Although Bush’s era is over, there are still many Republicans and social conservatives opposed to the idea. Why? They believe there are many other more important issues.

Many have expressed that signing a bill like this is not important, a waste of time and should be left to local agencies to determine the way hate-crimes are handled. Some Republicans and one Democrat make the argument that, instead of signing bills like these, the president needs to put a higher focus on the war in Afghanistan.

These senators might have forgotten that the president of a country must deal with both foreign and domestic issues.

Senators, if you do not think about issues like these and you think they are less important, consider people who have had to suffer the consequences of hate due to sexual preference, gender identification or sexual orientation.

This bill comes just around the same time of the 11th anniversary of one of the most saddening hate crimes in modern history. Shepard, who was savagely murdered for being gay, paints a picture of the ignorance the new law, if signed, is intended to end.

In support of the bill, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said, “No American should ever have to suffer persecution or violence because of who they are.” Well said, Nancy.

Increasing the potential to provide justice for victims of homophobic hate crimes won’t end hate, but it certainly will make the haters think twice before acting violently against those whose lifestyles they vilify.

While the law won’t bring Byrd or Shepard back, at least the potential to reduce hate crimes can finally be a reality. At least it’s a start.