Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the editor-Dorms expensive at half the price

This letter is in response to the recent campuswide decision to force nonexempt freshmen into campus housing.

Forcing incoming freshmen to live on campus is being shrouded and justified by a myriad of other reasons — like killing the commuter campus vibe — and helping college newbies make new friends, among others. These are all good reasons; ones I happen to agree with. I never had to commute and I met many of my best friends in the dorms.

The strongest reason this rule is around is for the money, or to avoid losing more of it.

I lived on campus my entire time at The Beach. For most of that time, I was also employed by Housing — full disclosure here — in a position that paid for most of the on-campus living costs. I was lucky but I worked for it.

I remember how nervous my parents were that I wouldn’t get a spot in on-campus housing. Those days for students and parents are seemingly long gone now that there are plenty of spots.

But they have a newer worry; how expensive on-campus housing is for incoming freshmen. The Housing site says campus newbies start paying $1,256.25 a month. This gets you half of one shared room, a shared bathroom and a host of other living options like Internet and cable.

But ask yourself who, by himself, is paying $1,200 a month for off-campus housing? The answer is, not many — except maybe those people with condos on Ocean Boulevard, with ocean views and killer appliances.

More likely there are two people paying $600 for half of a $1,200 place — each with his own room in a two-bedroom pad with so-so appliances.

Basic point: On-campus housing is really, really expensive. And you don’t get enough for it for that hefty of a monthly payment.

The Beach needs to win this housing war by offering much more affordable rates — ya know — beating them out the old-fashioned economic way.

Bradley Zint,

Spring 2008 alumnus

San Diego, Calif.