Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor- MacDonald deserves freedom of speech

This is a letter supporting Professor Kevin MacDonald from an
“elitist Jew.” Although I consider Professor MacDonald’s views to be
f–king idiotic, the man has the right to speak his mind — whether it offends people or not.

There is a risk you take when granting any sort of free speech: people are going to openly proclaim stupid things and people are more than likely going to be offended by them.

It’s not as if no one in the history of humanity has ever spouted off anti-Semitic ideas. A little logic and common sense, though, should easily prove them to be ludicrous.

Equally ludicrous, however, is the ASI’s petition for his dismissal because they don’t want people spreading his views on campus.

Censorship is never the correct response. It undermines the foundation of rational debate — our greatest defense against such tomfoolery.

If MacDonald’s views start to spill over into his lectures — which would be fairly conspicuous, given that they seem to be sociological, political and historical rather than psychological in nature — then I guess there can be talk of kicking him out.

If he starts pulling out comparative anatomy diagrams of the Semite and Anglo-Saxon brain or if he begins teaching that Jews have an innate psychological propensity toward money-lending then we might have a problem. But, until then for Christ’s sake leave the poor, confused man alone.

—Zachary Rex Rodriguez
Pre-film and creative writing junior

blog comments powered by Disqus