Sex, self-esteem are paired

Abstinence-only classes have apparently inspired the results we have been looking for — abstinence. But is this really the most effective way to keep children from unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases? How about a hug from a concerned parent or long chat with a friend about what goes on in a teen’s life?

In the past, when I reflect on “sexual education” in middle school — probably the most interesting class I remember simply because my teacher was an absolute babe — I did not understand the concept of such a life-changing experience as getting pregnant or becoming sexually involved with another person. I simply could not grasp the truth behind what that meant.

I recall sheepishly sitting in the back of the room, praying for the “embarrassing” pictures to be shown as quickly as possible. The sexual education class that I was taught was just that — sexual education. It was not an abstinence-only class, or one that drove you to believe sex was a sin. This is something I am thankful for.

I believe children deserve the truth, as opposed to another’s opinion being shoved down their throats; an opinion desperately aiming for the children to adopt these views. I feel strongly that no matter what type of sex education class is taught to a child, it their early childhood experiences, upbringing, and the world surrounding them that sharply influence what type of sexual health or relationships this child has.
As a teen, I am an avid believer that teenagers are not looking for a long-term, supportive, romantic, everlasting relationship, but in fact they are searching for validation and solace. Young teen girls constantly long to be accepted as females, but what they look for is more along the lines of friendship and kindness. However, some of the time, our male counterparts do not see eye-to-eye on this matter.

Unfortunately, what often happens is that what these young girls are seeking is not what they end up with.

The larger picture is our ever-turning universe projecting its ideals on the younger generations of our society. Look in a magazine, and I’ll bet that you won’t be able to flip five pages without seeing some display of a sexual icon, from movie stars in bikinis to condom advertisements. The media plays such an enormous role in our fundamental obsession with sex, often confusing sex and love. This constant replay of images, reality television shows, plastic surgeries, etc., counteract the positivity of a sexual education class — no matter what motives teaching the class is centered around.

In other words, if you have the ability to see, and take in the messages that our world displays for us, you are familiar with how important sexual activity is in our culture. No wonder younger and younger generations are consistently engaging in such doings.

Returning to the article, do I think abstinence-only sexual education classes are constructive? Sure, if the child is blind to the fact that sex rules the universe, which is impossible. The best remedy to solve this issue is for the parents to teach their children to attain high self -esteem and an ever-powerful love for themselves.

Rebecca Eisenberg is a sophomore philosopy major and a contributing writer for the Daily 49er.

blog comments powered by Disqus