Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor – Kevin MacDonald is not a victim

In his Feb. 23 article, Professor Kevin MacDonald wonders why he has been attacked and criticized by many in the academic community at Cal State Long Beach, and he would have us believe he is the victim of abuse and unwarranted reproach. He claims that his defense of the ethnic interests of those of white European ancestry is reasonable, comparable to the position of organizations representing other ethnic groups on campus.

Indeed, because, as he admits, he would like this country to be a white ethno-state, condemning in particular the 1965 immigration laws that allowed Asians and other non-whites to come to the United States, many academic departments have dissociated themselves from his white nationalist positions. But, MacDonald has espoused other notions that he omits in his article, and that many faculty find equally abhorrent and intellectually indefensible.

Specifically, he accuses Jews of adopting genetic strategies and taking political positions for the purpose of undermining white civilization in America, and that by supporting Marxism, Jews are responsible for the deaths of millions. Not only are such blanket accusations and condemnations historically inaccurate, they echo the rabid anti-Semitic rants and diatribes of Nazi ideologues of the 1930s and 1940s.

While many professors are repulsed by MacDonald’s racism and anti-Semitism, the university has defended his right to academic freedom and has not called for his dismissal. CSULB is to be commended for refusing to ignore MacDonald’s hateful ideology, while at the same time carefully protecting his free speech.

He is not the innocent victim of harassment and academic intolerance he would have us believe.

-Dr. Don Schwartz
History Department