Our View- Possible football referendum pragmatic mistake

The school is broke. It is so penniless that we have campus closure days. There’s one this coming Wednesday — check your calendars. If Cal State Long Beach can barely afford to pay teacher salaries let alone provide the necessary classes for its students, why on Earth would anyone suggest bringing back the university’s football team?

The Daily 49er doesn’t hate football. In fact ,we watch it on Sundays just like everyone else, albeit the production of our newspaper takes precedent. The sports desk and on occasion even the opinions desk take time to watch a sport that so many Americans love.

So, we get it. Football transcends the simple title of “school sport.” From the University of Southern California to Florida State, universities are known for their football teams. In other words, a football team gives a university a certain identity.

This identity, however, does not come before the necessities of our campus like teachers and classes. Anyone who suggests otherwise has misunderstood the concept of why a university exists. As unappealing as it may sound, we’re here to learn — we’re not here to watch football.

The push for 49er football is not so much a horrible idea as it is a monumental pragmatic failure. It’s a good idea at the wrong time.

With very little exception, university sports lose money. According to Connecticut Sports Law, a Web site that explores the intersection between sports and the law, “only 17 of the more than 300 Division I athletic programs earned a net profit between 2004 and 2006.” Universities pour money into sports programs because while they lose money, these sports programs are essential to an overall campus experience.

It is not clear whether or not a referendum for football will even occur. However, if a verified petition sufaces and agreements are made in the Student Fee Advisory Committee one thing is for sure: CSULB, as well as its students, will not be able to afford such a referendum.

An increase in fees or tuition may not greatly affect the reader personally, but there are other people on this campus who are not in a position to pay increased fees. Football, as much as it unites a campus, should not take precedence over education.

CSULB eliminated its football program during a time not so different than ours. What compels anyone to suggest that this is the time to bring 49er football back boggles our minds.

The efforts to bring back the university’s football program should be redirected. Students should campaign for fair tuition, more classes and a balanced California budget.

Maybe one day our campus will restart its football program, but until then let us focus on more pertinent issues. There is a time for everything and there will be a time for 49er football.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.