Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor- American Indian grounds debate with university, not professors

I am writing a brief correction to the article entitled “Sacred American Indian Grounds under discussion” (5/5/10) so that readers understand that this presentation was not a debate between Professor Alvitre and I. We are on the same side, and both hope that President F. King Alexander will address Native American concerns regarding Puvungna and the reburial of Tongva-Gabrielino ancestors on this site.

In 2007, at the request of the administration, representatives of local indigenous communities submitted a culturally and environmentally sensitive development plan which included an indigenous studies facility among other recommendations. This proposal, “Puvungna: An Indigenous Studies Facility,” is available upon request.

Responding to this proposal would be a positive first step toward improving strained relations between the university and tribal groups for whom Puvungna is a sacred site.

Another starting point would be to return to former President Maxson’s proposal in the mid-1990s to designate a small part of Puvungna for ancestor reburial, and pushing some of the complexities surrounding Puvungna land use down the road. And, of course, “burying” Prospector Pete, a much despised symbol to Native Americans and others, couldn’t hurt.

There are many different and creative ways to begin working toward a resolution of these issues.

-Ron Loewe  
CSULB anthropology professor