Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Faculty and staff of LGBT task force at CSULB respond to homophobia-related bullying

The faculty and staff of the LGBT Task Force at California State University, Long Beach are deeply saddened and disturbed by recent reports of homophobia-related bullying and suicides of LGBT youth nationwide. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and friends of the young adults who have experienced homophobia-related discrimination, harassment, injury, and death. These reports of homophobia-related bullying and LGBT suicide highlight the need for ongoing advocacy, education, and dialogue to end bigotry, harassment, and internalized shame. 

We, as a campus community, must protect and embrace our youth, allowing them to live full and productive lives. All of us at the university are responsible for ensuring the safety and full acceptance of our LGBT students, so they can pursue their academic and career goals free of worry and harm. The faculty and staff of the LGBT Task Force seek active communication and collaboration with other university departments to achieve these shared goals of retaining and supporting the academic success of our LGBT students. 

Acknowledging that exposure to reports of homophobia-related bullying and suicides of LGBT youth may result in emotional distress, the following list of campus and community resources is provided for students and those who may be concerned about them: 

Assistance with Harassment:

Office of the Dean of Students:  562.985.8670 (for appointments)

University Police:  562.985.4101

Advocacy and Counseling:

LGBT Resource Center at CSULB:  562.985.4966

Counseling and Psychological Services:  562.985.4001

LGBTQI Support Group at CAPS:  562.985.4001 (for pre-group appointments)

Trevor Project Hotline:  866.488.7386 (national suicide-prevention hotline for LGBT youth.

LGBT Community Centers:

• Long Beach:  562.434.4455
  • Orange County:  714.953.5428
  • Los Angeles:  323.993.7669

– Dr. Kirstyn Chun

Chair of LGBT Task Force