Bill Nye is a science guy who knows what he is talking about

We all remember the show and song, right?

Bill Nye “The Science Guy” would perform experiments and teach science to us kids while we unknowingly learned.

However, Nye is not just a children’s television star from the nineties. He is actually a renowned scientist as well.

Aside from his appearances on television, Nye is a 56-year-old scientist and mechanical engineer. He has a Bachelor of Science degree from Cornell University and an honorary doctorate degree from Willamette University. Nye is not just the corny, bow-tie wearing, television character with a catchy theme song. Nye actually knows what he is talking about.

Recently, Nye posted a YouTube video encouraging teachers and professors to educate evolution as a scientific proof rather than an alternative to creationism. Nye said our taxes should be spent on learning facts that can be supported by science instead of religious theories.

Separation of church and state does not stop at our civil rights and laws. Education should be based on knowledge and fact and not the opinions of teachers or their religious affiliations.

Nye supports his bold statements by explaining that radioactive dating proves that our earth has been around for billions of years, much longer than the Bible teaches.

Besides creationism, Nye has posted other videos about his scientific views, such as advocating clean energy climate change legislation.

The scientist’s words reach a large audience with almost 3.5 million views and counting on his creationism video. The generation Nye entertained as children is now older and could be considered more open-minded.

Of course, unless his opinion infringes on one’s personal beliefs.

Many reacted to the video poorly, accusing Nye of bashing religion and advising him to stick to his own area of expertise. The scientist defended himself, saying the focus was on use of taxpayer money, not outside beliefs.

Recently, an owner of a fast-food chain publicly stated his opinion on “valid marriage.” Well, outside of his expertise, the company was rewarded with an annual appreciation day.

But when a highly-acclaimed scientist expressed his views on his area of expertise, he was criticized for not obeying his boundaries.

Sure, the two-minute video may seem condescending and very biased, but at least Nye explains his point and doesn’t leave questions up in the air.

Nye claims the United States is the most technologically advanced country but says its citizens are too stuck in their beliefs against evolution to make any kind of progress.

The scientist made a video about his views and beliefs based on scientific evidence and fact. His opinion on religion was never mentioned and he carefully stuck to the subject of creationism.

Religious viewers should not persecute Nye for not agreeing with how the world came about but distinguish that his message is true: tax dollars should go to education based on science, not religious beliefs.

Krista Brooks is a junior journalism student and the assistant opinions editor for the Daily 49er.