Letters to the Editor, Opinions

Letter to the Editor: Halloween costume article is offensive

Halloween costume article is offensive
I want to address the article, “Women should not feel obligated to dress down for Halloween.”  

As a woman, I find this article to be extremely disrespectful, misogynistic and condescending.

In his attempt to preach on the objectification of women on Halloween, he placed yet another restriction on women’s ability to express themselves.

This article reinforces the culture of “slut shaming,” in which women who dress or act outside of dominant patriarchal standards are made to feel bad about themselves.

Why are women’s dress codes being dictated by men, and why is a woman who wears minimal clothing suddenly categorized as being morally corrupt?

I understand that the author was trying to tell women they shouldn’t have to feel pressured to dress in a certain manner.

By using derogatory language such as, “hooker, slut and street-walker,” it offends women and reduces the integrity of the article.

Not to mention the line, “Don’t misunderstand me; there’s nothing wrong with a good peep show, but at least those women get paid.”

In the author’s mind, women who sell their sexuality for money are acceptable because men are paying for it.

While women who feel sexually empowered are degrading themselves because no compensation is involved.

This logic is not only horribly inaccurate, but it damages the self confidence and self worth of women on this campus.

As a campus newspaper, articles in the Daily 49er should be supporting women’s ability to choose what they feel is right for themselves.

Sexism is never justified, and the author needs to understand that his article’s message was weakened by his inability to consider women’s point of view.

Lastly, I challenge the author and students on this campus to visit the Women’s Resource Center and any of our women’s organizations to learn about issues such as these.

Jazmine Contreras is a senior history major.