Gun Control: The gun control argument is misguided

American politicians swear to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the U.S.

With this in mind, some politicians, such as California Senator Dianne Feinstein, have advocated to do the complete opposite.

Many Democrats and RINOs – Republicans in name only – such as Senator John McCain and Senator Lindsey Graham, supported legislation that would deny Americans their Second Amendment right.

A well-armed militia, being necessary to the security of a free state and the right for the people to bear arms, should not be infringed.

The Second Amendment was included in the Constitution as a tool against tyranny and oppression.

The Constitution of the U.S. guarantees Americans the right to bear arms.

If the Constitution is a “living document” that protects free speech on the Internet, which did not exist at the time our Founding Fathers, then the

Constitution should also expand to include new weapons as a part of Americans’ Second Amendment right.

Instead of finding solutions to fix the violent crimes committed with guns, politicians have confused Americans.

Our elected officials, spearheaded by the Democrats, want to disarm honest citizens to prevent further gun violence. They don’t realize that guns don’t kill people; people kill people.

The real problem is the culture of violence, not the instruments.

By making it harder for common citizens to possess guns to defend themselves and their homes, criminals have the upper hand.

Why don’t our elected officials enact harsher legislation on those who commit crimes with weapons, as opposed to actively working to deny Americans of their constitutionally protected right?

Priscilla Covarrubias is the treasurer of the Long Beach State Republicans.