Editorials, Opinions

Our View: Supreme Court rulings are a step toward equality

One big step for same-sex couples, one giant leap for Americans.

Wednesday’s Supreme Court rulings concerning federal benefits for same-sex couples and Proposition 8 in California, are a testament to the power of democracy.

While reviewing United States v. Warner, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that same-sex couples can receive federal benefits in states where same-sex marriage is legal, thus repealing a part of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

“Under DOMA, same-sex married couples have their lives burdened by reason of government decree,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority decision. “DOMA’s principal effect is to identify a subset of state-sanctioned marriages and make them unequal.”

In a similar decision, the Supreme Court upheld a federal judge’s 2010 ruling that deemed Prop. 8 unconstitutaional. In brief, same-sex couples in California will be able to wed relatively soon.

Not surprisingly, both of the Supreme Court’s rulings brought good news not only to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community but to the nation as a whole.

We at the Daily 49er believe the Supreme Court made the right decision to grant federal benefits to legally married same-sex couples and allow California to wed same-sex couples.

However, we recognize that there are still many obstacles to overcome before same-sex marriage can be legal in all 50 states.

Nonetheless, Wednesday’s rulings are a step forward for the LGBT community at large.

For the first time in U.S. history, same-sex couples in certain states can receive federal benefits.

The implications of the ruling are enormous, as same-sex couples can now receive retirement and survivor benefits.

The Prop. 8 ruling is just as important, as it will allow same-sex couples in California to get married.

Though the Supreme Court refrained from making a larger judgment about same-sex marriage in the nation as a whole, its decision is no less significant.

If the rulings have taught America anything, it’s that public debate is extremely appreciated.

Without cases like U.S. v. Warner, the Supreme Court would never have had the opportunity to make such an important ruling.

These decisions should further motivate same-sex marriage advocates in their quest for true marriage equality.