Spill the Tea: CFA strike

While many felt the strike should have gone on longer, students’ opinions about the strike involved concerns, sympathy for staff and overall confusion on the issue.

Long Beach, Calif: Sophia Conversano, Graphic Design major.
Long Beach, Calif: For Sophia Conversano, graphic design major, this situation brings up frustrations with CSU affordability and inconsistent treatment for faculty. Photo credit: Cheyenne Elizarraras

“I have always noticed a lack of support for staff, many of my professors work multiple jobs and that shouldn’t be the case,” said Sophia Conversano, a fourth-year graphic design major.

“If the CSU actually cared about their staff then they wouldn’t need to strike for a livable wage. This 5% seems like a bandaid to keep everybody temporarily happy rather than a long-term solution.”

Long beach, Calif: Van Pappe, Womens, Gender, and Sexuality studies major.
Long Beach, Calif: Van Pappe (they/them), Women’s, Gender and Sexuality studies major was disappointed with the abrupt end to the strike, feeling more could’ve been done if it didn’t end early and that it would’ve formed a beautiful community of dedicated people. Photo credit: Cheyenne Elizarraras

“I think it’s really disappointing that the union backed down,” said Van Pappe, a fourth-year women’s gender and sexuality studies major. “Within 12 hours we took the measly 5% that was already offered rather than the 12% that we wanted. My professors are not happy about it.”

Long Beach, Calif: Sophia Paik, undeclared, earth science major
Long Beach, Calif: Sophia Paik (she/her), undeclared, is glad to be back at school although the shift back to school was sudden. Photo credit: Cheyenne Elizarraras

“I know that some people were upset about the strike ending early since they were expecting an extra week off school, but personally, I am okay with going back to class,” said Sophia Paik, a first-year earth science major. “I’m someone who likes being at school.”

Long Beach, Calif: Jenna Aranda, theater major
Long Beach, Calif: Jenna Aranda (she/he/they), theater major, feels sympathetic for all her teachers as she watched them prepare to strike for the week. Photo credit: Cheyenne Elizarraras

“The CFA probably should’ve striked longer, especially since they only settled for 5%,” Jenna Aranda said, a fourth-year theater major.

“It’s kind of absurd, especially because I have genuine respect for my professors,” Aranda said. “I love my teachers and they deserve more.”