Letters to the Editor

Letters to editor-More budget notes to governor from CSULB

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

As we suffer the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, our government has bailed out banks, corporations and executive management. Now, these hard times are threatening our California educational system and our children’s future as dramatic cuts are made to an already underfunded higher education system.

The university system has long served as a foundation for California business and economic growth. These cuts to the California State University undermine California’s economic recovery and jeopardize the future of our students, who depend on access to higher education today to prepare for the jobs of tomorrow.

The prosperity of California depends on education. CSU students are tomorrow’s work force and they need quality education today. The Future is now.

I write you today — along with other friends of California higher education — to demand of you: Renew the promise. Restore the funding. Revive California’s future.

— Mrs. H. Moncur

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

The state budget cuts directly affected me because I am a disabled student and the state used to fund my tuition, books, supplies, etc. Now, they won’t even fund anything unless it is directly related to my major. However, I have only one minor, with only one class left to finish to complete my Comparative World Literature minor. It has affected my mental health, which in turn negatively affected my physical health.

Due to stress due to the lack of funds, lack of a stable home and loss of medical coverage, I have now learned that I have permanent liver damage from medications. I also recently suffered from heart failure at the age of 24. The budget cut has negatively and directly affected me and I will continue to pay for it for the rest of my life.

— Dakota Elliott

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

Higher education is extremely important to me as a first-generation college student. Further, the CSU system has enabled me to be one of the first in my family to obtain a college education. It is because the CSU system is affordable that I have been able to continue my education. I am now a master’s student who is continuing to accrue knowledge in the CSU system.

Do not continue to cut funds from this fine educational institution! Without the affordability and quality of CSU Long Beach, I don’t know where I would be. Education is extremely important for our society at large, especially for historically under-represented groups like mine, i.e., Mexican-Japanese Americans.

—Katsumi Minakata

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

Due to the increase in tuition, I have to work extra hours at work, which means I have less time to study and to focus on school-related activities. I was looking forward to graduating next spring, but due to class cuts I will not be able to do so. Please stop cutting our classrooms and teachers. Without our teachers, who’s going to educate us? Support the students and educators!

— Veronica Orozco