Poised to make a run: Teams to watch in 2nd half

With the NBA season reaching the mid-point it is time to evaluate the teams in the league that have the greatest chance of winning a championship this season. Here is a list of contenders along with some of their strengths and weaknesses.

Western Conference:

Los Angeles Lakers: The youthful team that surprised so many last year by reaching the NBA Finals entered the 2008-09 season with a vengeance.

The younger players’ stellar play from last season carried over to this season as they came out of the gate more experienced and confident — at one point they were blowing teams out by an average near 15 points while averaging over 100. The whole team showed increased toughness and activity on the defensive side of the ball — a point head coach Phil Jackson has emphasized since the start of training camp.

But the Lakers floundered a bit defensively; a problem considering its defense was a reason for such a strong start. However, the will and determination of defending MVP Kobe Bryant helped the team re-focus on the defensive end as they pulled off big wins against Boston, Cleveland and San Antonio.

The team has been affected by injuries as of late but it is still getting the job done. Make no mistake about it, the Lakers are going to score points. It just needs to remember what wins championships: defense!

San Antonio Spurs: Let us not forget that the Spurs seemingly win the NBA title during every odd calendar year — the prior being in 2003, 2005, and 2007.

The team struggled in the beginning, but it was mostly in part to the injuries sustained by Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Tim Duncan kept them afloat and now the team is healthy and dangerous.

With Matt Bonner having a career year shooting 45 percent from beyond the arc along with additions like Roger Mason, the team seems poised for a strong playoff run.

However, the team recently has had documented struggles with defensive consistency and it is aging, but hey it is an odd year so do not count the Spurs out.

New Orleans Hornets: A couple of years ago this team was the butt of many jokes in the NBA but this is no longer the case.

Behind phenom Chris Paul, last year’s team was one of the most exciting upstart teams in the NBA.

This year, the team remains solidified at the top the West despite injury to their main interior presence — and favorite alley-oop target of Paul — Tyson Chandler.

But really, at times it seems that all this team needs is Paul. His 21.3 PPG and 11.1 APG and five triple-doubles are mind-boggling.

Eastern Conference:

Cleveland Cavaliers: Adding point guard Mo Williams to this team appears to have transformed this team to one of the best in the league.

It is going to make the Eastern Conference Finals and the Cavs are my pick to make it to the finals from the East.

This is easily one of the scariest squads in the league. The team has a league low 90.1 PPG allowed while scoring an average near 101. And with LeBron James having an MVP-caliber season — averaging 28.0 PPG, 7.4 RPG, and 6.9 APG — the Cavaliers are the force to reckon with in the East.

Boston Celtics: The C’s started the season with no hangover from their last summer championship run. In fact, they now hold an NBA record for best 29-game start in history, notching a 29-3 record.

After their loss to the Lakers on Christmas Day, they went on a skid losing seven of nine. They have righted the ship recently, though, blowing out top tier teams like the Phoenix Suns, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic and Dallas Mavericks by an average of more than 15 PPG.

Orlando Magic: Superman! Dwight Howard and his team, often described as a 3-point brigade, are finally starting to make the masses believe that they are a legitimate force in the East.

Howard is having a monster year, averaging 20 PPG and 13.9 rebounds. Also, the Magic own the fourth best points differential margin, scoring an average of 101.6 while allowing just 93.6.

Though, they are primarily a jump-shooting team — a dynamic that is not too successful in the playoffs.

Byron Russell

good showing from the lakers last night