Sports, Women's Basketball

49er women fall at Pacific in 2OT

Four double-digit scorers wasn’t enough for the Long Beach State women’s basketball team on Saturday.

The 49ers dropped a 98-92 double-overtime decision to Pacific at the Alex G. Spanos Center in Stockton.

Junior Whitney Fields, who finished the game with 21 points and 15 rebounds for the ‘Niners, fouled out in the first overtime period. The 49ers were unable to match the Tigers in the final five minutes as LBSU was held scoreless over the last 1:54, allowing Pacific to pull away with the victory.

LBSU (5-17, 2-8 Big West Conference) shot 41.3 percent from the field, but the Tigers were able to top that performance with a 44.7 field goal percentage. UOP also owned a 53-46 rebounding advantage.

In addition to Fields’ seventh double-double of the season, sophomore LaTorya Barbee poured in a career-high 22 points, while adding five assists to pace The Beach. Junior Lauren Sims posted her second consecutive 21-point game, while freshman Adelle Walton chipped in 16 points and five assists.

UOP (12-10, 6-4 Big West) opened the second half on a 13-5 run to take its largest lead of the game at 56-43 with 14:40 remaining. LBSU slowly chipped away, however, coming back from a five-point deficit with 1:24 to play in regulation to even the score and send the game into overtime. Walton converted a three-point play with 42 seconds on the clock before Barbee sank a pair of free throws to tie it up at 70-70.

The ‘Niners led by as many as five in the first overtime, but Gretchen Tiernan hit a 3-pointer for UOP with the clock winding down to force another extra session.

Amber Simmons led Pacific with a game-high 33 points and 10 rebounds. Amy VanHollebeke added 21 points, while Tiernan finished with 14.

Long Beach State will be back in action on Wednesday,as it kicks off a three-game homestand against Cal State Northridge. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.