Men's Basketball, Sports

Beach heads North to finish Big West schedule

Long Beach State’s men’s basketball team started Big West Conference play the same way it will finish — by taking on Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara.

When LBSU (14-13, 9-5 Big West) last took on Cal Poly (7-19, 3-11 Big West), it was its most lopsided conference win. The 49ers knocked off the Mustangs, 70-57, to run their conference record to 2-0.

The ‘Niners overcame a sluggish start with some hot outside shooting from Greg Plater and Stephan Gilling. The two combined for 29 points, making 9-of-16 from 3-point range.

Senior guard Chaz Thomas had 17 points in the loss for Cal Poly, which has been eliminated from qualifying for the Big West Tournament.

The Mustangs have lost six of their last seven in conference play and are yet to win a Big West game at home this season, going 0-6 so far.

Back on Jan. 2, The Beach kicked off conference play with a 76-64 win over UCSB (13-14, 6-8 Big West) at the Pyramid.

Casper Ware had 21 points — 15 of which came in the second half — while Donovan Morris scored 16 and Brian Freeman had a double-double, adding 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Chris Devine was one of just two Gauchos in double figures, scoring 20 points and grabbing eight rebounds while James Powell had 10 points.

UCSB has been hot of late, winning five of its last six games.

The freshmen big men are carrying the load for The Beach in a big way of late. Over the last six games, Larry Anderson is averaging 18.8 points and 6.5 rebounds while T.J. Robinson is getting 17.3 points and pulling down 8.5 rebounds.

LBSU currently sits one game behind Cal State Northridge (10-4 Big West) and one half-game ahead of Pacific (9-6 Big West) in the standings.

With a win this weekend, the ‘Niners can clinch at least a No. 2 seed in next week’s conference tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center.

For more men’s basketball coverage, visit Tucker Talks.