Beach tennis breezes past Cornell

The No. 40 Long Beach State women’s tennis team dominated Cornell, 7-0, Wednesday at the Terry Rhodes Tennis Center.

LBSU (10-4) started the match by grabbing the doubles point, which is awarded by winning at least two of three matches.

The 49ers’ Hannah Grady/Jessica Weeks, Deborah Armstrong/Lisa Sutton and Anais Dallara/Rachel Manasse swept the doubles action.

In singles play, No. 4 Dallara was first off the court after cruising to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Cornell’s Natalia Seyburn.

Grady, the lefty senior from Great Britain, had an exceptional game. Grady was merciless in her 6-1, 6-1 victory over Stephanie Kent — playing with clinical execution of angles, ball placement and coming to the net.

After struggling the first couple of games, Armstrong said opponent Elizabeth Googe “was tough to play [but] I adjusted” and after that, Armstrong never looked back. After winning the first set, 6-4, Armstrong only dropped one game to take the second set, 6-1.

“Every match is important for ranking,” Armstrong said.

One of the closer matches of the day was No. 3 singles between Manasse and Cornell’s Shayna Miller. Manasse, usually one of the first off the court, was struggling and obviously frustrated with herself. While Miller put up a fight, Manasse was the one to walk off the court with the 6-4, 6-4 win.

In No. 5 singles, the Beach’s Julie Luzar took care of Leah Seyburn, 6-2, 6-4. Sutton rounded out the action with a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory over Sinziana Chis.

Grady said, “It was a good warm-up … to get ready for two tougher matches.”

LBSU faces two ranked teams, first on Friday against No. 75 Louisville and Saturday against No. 42 Denver at the Rhodes Tennis Center.

SmartAssBLRCommentsMakeMeSick

Hard to imagine they did it without a new soccer stadium, eh?
    ———————————————
    Troll.

Well, did you know that the soccer team’s facility is not as good as many of the local junior high teams. By voting down the BLR, the soccer team will still have only around 8 scholarships were the majority of their competition has 15. The soccer team travel and recruiting budget is very low and barely gives them the resources to look at potential players. The BLR was not only about facilities but about bring the scholarships and budgets up to what other major universities have. Before you know it, the school will be dropping sports, students will lose their scholarships, staff will be losing their jobs, and the department will just be a shell of itself. Donors have already stated that if the university does not care then why keep giving them their dollars. Welcome Cal State Dominguez Hills. For the most part, students voting did not understand the ripple effect and negative consequences a no vote will have.