‘Niners cruise to 6th straight Big West tennis title

The Long Beach State women’s tennis team maintained its stranglehold on the Big West Conference on Sunday.

The No. 60 49ers won their sixth consecutive Big West title — and seventh overall — by defeating No. 56 UC Irvine, 4-1, at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

No. 113-ranked Hannah Grady clinched the championship with a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 win over Stephanie Hammel. The senior finished her Big West career with a 43-1 record in singles play.

The Beach (18-7) started the day by taking two of the three doubles matches to jump out to a 1-0 lead. Deborah Armstrong and Lisa Sutton took care of Courtney Byron and Miranda Young, 8-6, while freshmen Anais Dallara and Rachel Manasse dispatched UCI’s Brooke Bartlett and Rebecca Kwan, 8-3.

In singles action, Byron defeated Manasse, 6-3, 7-6, to take the first point but LBSU’s Dallara and Julie Luzar pulled the ‘Niners ahead. Dallara knocked off Clare Fermin, 6-3, 6-4, to earn her 20th singles win of the season. Luzar took down Kwan, 6-1, 7-6, in a battle of No. 5 singles players.

Earlier in the tournament, LBSU rolled over UC Riverside, 4-0, Friday and took care of Cal State Northridge, 4-2, in Saturday’s semifinal.

Next up for the 49ers will be the NCAA Regionals from May 8-10. An opponent and location have yet to be determined.

Well at least we will be getting some points back after failing to show up in the pool and on the diamond.