New WPS league aims to buck failure trend

Every so often it seems like a new women’s professional sports league is formed. Each time, the league is supposed to continue the push towards gender equality in athletics.

However, other than the WNBA, women’s leagues seemingly never gain popularity and always collapse — usually for financial reasons — while men’s leagues remain extremely popular.

A new soccer league called Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) was formed March 29 and it could be looking to break the trend of failure that female pro sports leagues have become used to.

The WPS has seven franchises nationwide: the Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, FC Gold Pride (SF), Los Angeles Sol, Sky Blue FC (NY/NJ), St. Louis Athletica and Washington Freedom.

These teams and this league could eventually be home to college players, possibly even some Long Beach State players.

“Part of the reason our kids haven’t thought about [playing professionally] is because nothing was established,” Long Beach State women’s soccer head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said.

If this league becomes established and renowned, elements in college soccer like recruiting, level of competition and popularity of soccer could be affected.

Just like a high school football, basketball or baseball recruit, there could be a trend of female athletes choosing a college based on which one will give them the best opportunity to turn pro.

Also, it could affect mindset and the approach of college players take when preparing for a season or game. Similarly, it could increase competitiveness and drive of athletes knowing that there is a professional league they can play in.

“I think the hard work is still there … but it does inspire us to look forward to something after college,” freshman midfielder Shawna Gordon said.

Gordon’s teammate, junior Sarah Strohl, agrees and thinks it could really affect women’s college soccer.

“From our perspective it gives us motivation, it gives us something to strive for and hopefully the popularity of women’s soccer in the U.S. keeps growing,” Strohl said.

The defender also added that she would “definitely consider” playing in the WPS.

While this remains a possibility, Ingrassia remains skeptical the league will have a huge impact.

“You can never make as much money as in other sports so it’s not like a career choice,” he said. “You’re not going to make a million bucks in women’s soccer any time soon. I think girls choose schools and environments for the right reasons, like academics and the soccer experience.”

The WPS isn’t the first attempt in the U.S. to form a pro league for women.

There seemed to be a viable market for women’s soccer in 2000 because of the popularity of the 1999 FIFA World Cup — the defining moment was Brandi Chastain celebrating a game-winning goal against China in her sports bra.

This spawned the Women’s United Soccer Association (WUSA).

It had eight teams and players including Olympians Mia Hamm — the featured player on the logo for the WPS — and Chastain, who will play for the FC Gold Pride.

Even with the Olympian star power, the league collapsed after just three years while losing approximately $90 million.

“I think it can [survive], but the only thing I question is the timing of it and the downturn of our economy,” Ingrassia optimistically said. “I think that’s a huge challenge, but I think the quality [of play] is there.”

Gordon is confident that the league can be more successful and have a longer existence than the WUSA.

“Soccer is getting really big and even though the economy is bad, people will still be able to make it to the games. I think it will [survive].”