NFL Draft makes for an overhyped media spectacle

This past weekend’s NFL Draft triggered a discussion in the Daily Forty-Niner newsroom involving assistant sports editors Danny Lee and Daniel Ramirez, along with staff writer Matt Moreno.

Matt Moreno: I think the draft is one of the best parts of the NFL year. It gives fans some hope that their team might do better than they did the year before. And, it brings some excitement about the new season that might not have been there otherwise.

Daniel Ramirez: Are you kidding me? The draft is one of the most overrated things in sports! It is slow paced and I will guarantee that people have no clue who 75 percent of the players drafted are! There were great things on television this weekend like the NBA playoffs or the NHL playoffs! By the way, the San Jose Sharks suck … I had to put that out there.

Danny Lee: Stop talking hockey, no one cares! The No. 1 overall pick Matt Stafford is getting paid $41.7 million in guaranteed money to suit up for the Detroit Lions. Does anyone think he will give Lions’ fans their money’s worth in that NFL graveyard? Between that franchise and the auto industry, I don’t know which is in greater need of a bailout.

MM: I agree that the rookies are getting paid way too much money. They are unproven, and by giving them a big contract the team is handcuffing itself for the next six to eight years. A top five pick might be a bust, but the team still has to pay him his guaranteed money.

I think I would want to be a free agent, because there has only been one Mr. Irrelevant that has actually made a roster. Sure, you get the honor of being drafted, but it doesn’t necessarily mean your going to make the roster of the team that picked you. A free agent gets to decide what team would fit them best, and can actually compete for a job.

DL: I don’t get why ESPN likes to hype up “Mr. Irrelevant” A.K.A the No. 256th player selected in the draft. Like anyone will remember that scrub three years from now. What’s his name again?

MM: Oakland Raider fans cannot be happy after what went down over the weekend. They passed on possibly the best player — Michael Crabtree — in the draft and took a receiver in Darrius Heyward-Bey who can’t catch the ball. Al Davis has always valued speed, and look where it has left him.

DR: I like the selection. Wideout Javon Walker is a nice possession receiver when he is physically and mentally healthy and they still have Run DMC — Darren McFadden. I think with a little work on his route running and catching abilities, he will pan out.

DL: As a Raider fan, I wanted Crabtree. I hope you kick the bucket, Al Davis.