Beach tennis headed to Stanford for NCAAs

The Long Beach State women’s tennis team is headed to the Stanford Regional in Palo Alto for the NCAA Regionals, the NCAA announced Tuesday.

The No. 50-ranked 49ers (18-7) will face the No. 25-ranked Louisiana State University Tigers (13-10) in the first round from May 8-10.

LBSU, led by four-time Big West Conference Player of the Year and No. 92-ranked Hannah Grady, will be making its sixth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance. The Tigers are led by senior Megan Falcon, who is the No. 13-ranked singles player and ranked No. 15 in doubles play with partner Mykala Hedberg.

The host and No. 13-seeded Stanford Cardinal (17-4) will enter as one of 16 seeded teams in the field and face the Wichita State Shockers (21-5).

The winners of both matches will meet in the second round.

The 64-team field will play a single-elimination tournament at 16 first- and second-round sites (four teams at each site) and the finals site (16-team bracket) to determine the national champion.

The NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Championships at the George P. Mitchell Tennis Center in College Station, Texas will be hosted by Texas A&M University. The team championship will be held May 15-19.

The matches are regulation dual matches with three eight-game, pro-set doubles played for one team point. Following the doubles will be six singles matches, each valued at one team point, played to best-of-three sets. Regular scoring will be used and a 12-point tiebreaker will be played at eight games all in doubles and at six games all in singles.