No. 50 Long Beach State prepares for NCAA tourney

Related video

Fresh from capturing its seventh Big West Conference title, No. 50 Long Beach State will participate in its sixth consecutive NCAA Tournament, facing No. 25 Louisiana State University Saturday in Palo Alto, Calif.

The Beach (18-7) will attempt to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the second time in history. The Lady Tigers defeated LBSU 6-1 in last year’s regular season.

The match begins at the Taube Family Tennis Center at 9 a.m. where the winner advances to face the winner of the Stanford/Wichita State series.

The Lady Tigers (13-10) are led by two-time Louisiana Player of the Year Megan Falcon. The senior, who is an Alameda, Calif. native, is ranked No. 13 in singles and No. 15 in doubles with partner Mykala Hedberg.

Falcon defeated Big West Player of the Year Hannah Grady in last season’s singles match. However, Grady said she believes the team is more experienced since last year.

“It’s a different year and it’s a different team,” Grady said. “We’ve improved and got better in depth.”

The 49ers are the No. 3 seed in the region and are considered underdogs, but head coach Jenny Hilt-Costello and the players are not worrying about their status in the tournament.

“We knew going in, we were going to get a tough program,” Hilt-Costello said. “But we [are going] to handle this match just like any other match and we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.”

Jessica Weeks joins Grady as the only seniors on the team, and both will play in their last NCAA Tournament after making an appearance every year in their collegiate careers.

“It’s going to be fun,” Grady said. “I’m really excited. Not all teams get to experience that.”

The 49ers also have three freshmen making their tournament debuts: Anais Dallara, Julie Luzar and Rachel Manasse.

“Not too many people get to go to the NCAA Tournament,” Manasse said. “I feel honored and it’s great having a good team to go with.”

This will be the seventh NCAA Tournament in eight years for the 49ers, who have failed to advance to the second round since 2006 when they lost to USC. LBSU lost in the first round to Denver last season and to Pepperdine in 2007.

“We’re just trying to train hard,” Grady said. “Be fresh, but be ready.”