Baseball, Sports

Bruins’ hitting too much for Dirtbags

WESTWOOD — Long Beach State used three pitchers and gave up nine runs before the fourth inning was over in a 15-2 loss to UCLA Tuesday at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

The Dirtbags (24-24) lost their fourth straight game and second game this year to the Bruins (25-24). Freshman Josh Corrales (1-2) gave up six runs in his first career start and only pitched two innings for Long Beach State.

Reliever Rob Rasmussen (4-2) pitched 1 2/3 scoreless to pick up the win for the Bruins.

LBSU had three starters on the bench due to injuries, including leading hitter Steve Tinoco.

The Dirtbags started going in the second inning after two base hits by John Hill and Kellen Hoime but failed to score against UCLA starter Garett Claypool, who allowed two runs and seven hits in the four innings he pitched.

However, the Bruins’ offense also started up in the second inning with a base hit to left field by Justin Uribe. LBSU left fielder Matt Avery committed an error on the play and Uribe advanced to second.

Corrales then started to lose control of the game, loaded the bases and allowed two runs in the frame before a double play ended the inning.

Corrales once again loaded the bases in the third inning and head coach Mike Weathers brought in senior Anthony Carrillo.

UCLA right fielder Chris Giovinazzo doubled to score three runners and extend the lead, 6-1. Uribe kept the runs coming by hitting a single and advancing on a two-base error that brought in two more runs to make it 9-1 in the fourth inning.

Steve Rodriguez capped the scoring for the Bruins with a three-run homer in the eight inning.

Long Beach State will start its final three-game home series Friday against Cal Poly. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Blair Field.

Eduardo Marroquin

Good stuff. Long Beach fell off man. Bring back the Weavers