Baseball, Sports

Dirtbags lose another game, player to injury

The Dirtbags were victim to another tough loss and injured player on Friday night.

The Dirtbags were handed a 6-3 loss by Cal Poly (34-16, 12-7 Big West Conference) at Blair Field.

LBSU’s speedy leadoff hitter Jordan Casas may have broken his finger after he was hit by a pitch in the third on a bunt attempt.

The sophomore outfielder — who has 21 stolen bases — just returned from an ankle injury after missing the Dirtbags’ past two games against UCLA and UC Santa Barbara.

“We’re down to one [bench] player,” Dirtbag head coach Mike Weathers said. “I get nervous every time someone gets hit by a pitch, but it is what it is.”

LBSU (24-25, 10-9 Big West) was in striking distance until the top of the ninth when pinch-hitter Adam Melker hammered a bases-loaded, ground-rule double over the right field wall. Wes Dorrell and J.J. Thompson came around to score.

Dorrell, who singled to lead off the inning, went 2-for-4.

In the bottom half, the Dirtbags had two runners on and tried to rally, but Poly’s starting pitcher DJ Mauldin stopped the threat.

Mauldin (5-4) threw a complete game, giving up three runs on 10 hits. Also, the Mustang right-hander issued no walks and struck out three.

Arguably LBSU’s best scoring chance came in the sixth when John Hill stepped to the plate with runners on the corners and one out. But, Hill was unable to get the equalizer as he hit the ball back to Mauldin for a double play.

“There’s nothing to play for except for the program … but you play to win every game and get better,” Weathers said. “It’s the same philosophy every game but we’re not playing for anything.”

Dirtbag starter Adam Wilk ran into trouble in the fifth when Mustang Adam Buschini roped a single to center, bringing Bobby Crocker home. But he settled down to strike out the next two batters.

Wilk (7-3) pitched seven strong innings, striking out six while allowing nine hits and giving up three runs.

“He’s given us two games in a row now where he has given up only three runs and gave us a great chance to win,” Weathers said. “Our offense is stumbling and we have young guys [in the lineup] that are struggling and [couldn’t] get it done.”

After Derek Legg singled to push Kirk Singer to third base, LBSU’s Devin Lohman tied the contest at 2 after chopping a single to left field in the third.

Lohman went 4-for-4 with two RBIs.

In the second inning, Ryan Lee floated a single to center to allow Dorrell to score and Cal Poly to regain the lead, 2-1.

The Mustangs jumped to an early lead in the first after Kyle Smith slapped a single to right field to drive in Lee, who registered a 2-for-4 mark and an RBI.

Lohman roped a single up the middle in the bottom half of the first to bring home Casas and tie it at 1.

The Dirtbags return to the field Saturday at 2 p.m. Probable starters are LBSU’s Jake Thompson (4-6) and Cal Poly’s Matt Leonard (5-2).