Baseball, Sports

Three Dirtbags one step closer to big leagues

The phone calls from baseball scouts started ringing in and Dirtbag Adam Wilk knew he would be one step closer to reaching his dream of playing for a Major League Baseball team.

Wilk received news that he was the 330th player taken overall in the 11th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft by the Detroit Tigers on Tuesday.

“What I will remember most is finally hearing my name announced,” Wilk said. “It was cool though because I had a lot of anticipation coming up to this day and it finally came and I was picked.”

At the beginning of the season, it was by no means a given that Wilk would be in the position he is in. Wilk started the year in the bullpen and wasn’t necessarily on the radar to become the ace pitcher for Long Beach State.
Strong bullpen outings combined with offseason preparation that readied him for a starting role and a struggling, youthful Dirtbags staff gave him the opportunity. 

The junior embraced the task and went 7-4 in 15 appearances with a solid 2.78 ERA and 56 strikeouts en route to earning All-Big West second team pitching honors.

“It’s very fulfilling knowing that I was able to pitch myself into the position I’m in,” Wilk said. “With the numerous hours in the weight room and the extra work with teammates, it’s great to finally feel that all the hard work paid off.”

If he signs in the next month, Wilk will likely play for the Oneonta Tigers in New York, which is the Detroit Tigers low-A minor league affiliate. He would start pitching soon after he signed his contract. 

But if the signing process is delayed because he cannot come to terms with the Tigers, Wilk will likely play for the Western Michigan Whitecaps.

“I really want to start my professional career…if they give me the money, I told them I would sign for, I will begin my professional career,” Wilk said. “I want to start soon though because that gives you the best chance to move up.”

Making the transition to the professionals can be intimidating for many players, but he seems to know not to over-think things.

“It’s always anxious to go play, but I’m not worried because I’ve been able to perform in college,” Wilk said.

“Players now are just better and more consistent, but it [my mindset] is the same,” he added. “It’s like a pyramid. It’s a wide base with a bunch of players at the bottom, but as you get older you move up on the pyramid. It’s what you play to try and do, to get to the top.”

For now Wilk is taking the process slowly and enjoying the moment of being selected by a major league ball club. 
This is one dream he probably does not want to wake up from.

Ruiz, Born join former Dirtbag coach in Colorado

Wilk was the second Long Beach State product taken, shortly after Charlie Ruiz (10th round, pick 301) by the Colorado Rockies. Teammate and reliever David Born (22nd round, pick 661) was also selected by the Rockies. 

Ruiz (2-2) recorded 11 saves as the Dirtbags’ closer, registering a 3.60 ERA. He tallied 42 strikeouts in 25 innings. 

Born(2-0) had a 2.66 ERA, fanning 23 batters in 20 1/3 innings of work.

Both players will join former Dirtbag head coach Dave Snow, who is a scouting consultant for the Rockies.

blog comments powered by Disqus