Beach Banter: Clippers hope to rebuild franchise with No. 1 overall pick

With the NBA Draft scheduled for tonight at 4p.m. on ESPN, managing editor Tracy McDannald, sports editor Danny Lee and assistant sports editor Matt Moreno discuss their thoughts on what to expect.  

Danny Lee: It is safe to assume Blake Griffin is going to the Clippers. What do you see in his future?

Matt Moreno: His career is over already.

Tracy McDannald: The Clippers better not screw it up. It’s clear who the number one choice should be. There’s still the idea that they’re going to draft Ricky Rubio. They’ve got [Zach] Randolph, [Marcus] Camby and [Chris] Kaman ¬— that’s three big guys.

DL: There’s a logjam at power forward. I don’t know how he’s going to play side-by-side with Randolph. Once you get the ball to Randolph, he’s not giving it back.

TM: Blake griffin is a weird fit. Kind of like Charles Barkley because he’s undersized. He might have to learn some moves. He definitely hustles. He’s Tyler Hansbrough on steroids.

MM: I think he brings a good attitude to the team too.

DL: He’ll probably pad his stats for three years and then bolt for a better franchise. The Clippers are essentially a farm team. And on the other hand, we’ve got the Lakers. The team’s biggest need is at point guard. Who do you see them drafting in the late first round?

TM: I think their bigger priority is signing Trevor Ariza and the other guys. Phil Jackson doesn’t play rookies—especially point guards. I’d say those picks don’t matter for championship teams.

MM: I think picking at that point might be just for trade bait. Javaris Crittenton didn’t play, and they used him to trade for Pau Gasol.

TM: For teams that are competing for championships, the guys you draft will not be in uniform. They’ll be at the end of the bench in a suit.

DL: Do you see any major moves happening on draft day?

TM: The whole Shaq-Cleveland thing. If I’m Cleveland, you have to make that trade.

MM: They’re not signing any free agents right now. I also don’t see the Celtics trading Ray Allen.

DL: And I don’t think they’ll trade Rajon Rondo because they want at least one guy to build around when the Big Three retires. The Spurs made a nice trade for Richard Jefferson.

TM: To give up two aging centers for an athletic swing guy, this finally gives the team some youth.

MM: They’re slow on defense though.

TM: Jefferson gives them reliability on both ends of the floor. Knowing San Antonio, they’re going to pick up somebody, throw them in there and make it work.

MM: Normally, I’d say that there’s not enough balls to go around, but this makes them the clear threat to the Lakers.

DL: Who will have the best rookie season?

TM: I don’t see how you can shy away from Griffin. He’s polished, and explosive. Hasheem Thabeet is great but has no offense. Rubio is an unknown; Jennings only averaged five points in Europe.

MM: A guy that’s great is James Harden. Depending who he lands with, he can have an impact. I don’t know why he’s gotten lost. He’s got the size. I think he’s got the shot to succeed.

DL: Who will be the biggest bust?

TM: I’m going to have to go with Rubio. Sarunas Jasikevicius — remember all the hype around that guy? He’s no longer in the league. You see how many turnovers Rubio makes. This is very high risk.

MM: Jordan hill. Something scares me about guys who come out of nowhere to come in the top 10 based on workouts.

TM: People say Stephen Curry is going to be a bust, but if you can shoot, you belong in the league.

MM: I want to say Hansbrough because I don’t like him. I see Mark Madsen written all over him.

TM: When your team drafts a big, tall, slow white dude, he’s not going to be a star. I’m just saying.

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed