Knipe coaches U.S. to 3-1 win over Italians 

The United States men’s volleyball team defeated Italy, 25-19, 18-25, 25-22, 25-20, in an FIVB World League match played in Catania, Italy on Sunday.

The squad is coached by 49er head coach Alan Knipe, who is taking a three-year leave of absence from Long Beach State to run the national team. The American team also features LBSU alums David Lee, who posted three kills, two blocks and an ace in the match, along with Scott Touzinsky.

The U.S. boasts a 3-1 record in World League matches and will return to the States to face China on June 26-27 in San Jose.

Bittner named MVP at Pan American Cup

Outside hitter Dean Bittner earned MVP honors after leading the United States A2 Team to the championship in the Pan American Cup last week in Chiapas, Mexico.

Bittner led the U.S. with 27 kills, one block and two aces in a 32-30, 16-25, 24-26, 25-17, 15-12 win over Canada in the championship game. The U.S. tallied a 4-0 record during the tournament.

Former 49er players Tyler Hildebrand and Dustin Watten also suited up for the Americans.

Two Beach men named to U.S. training team

Cody Watten and Colten Echave, both of whom were redshirt freshman last season, were named to the national beach volleyball training team for the 2009 FIVB U-21 World Championships.

Both players will attempt to make the final four-man U.S. roster, which will be finalized in mid-July. 

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed