Women’s volleyball adds volunteer assistant

The Long Beach State women’s volleyball team added former 49er men’s volleyball player Gavin Christensen to its coaching staff on Tuesday.

Christensen will help out head coach Brian Gimmillaro as the program’s volunteer assistant coach for the 2009 season. He previously worked as an assistant with the Cal Juniors club team, along with coaching boy’s teams at Lakewood High School and the Riptide Volleyball club.

“I knew when I met Gavin that he would be a good coach, and so when he was available, I asked him to come join our staff,” Gimmillaro said in a press release. “He’s a hard worker, has great volleyball skills and has a great rapport with the team already.”

Christensen, who earned All-American honors when he played for nearby Classical Wilson High School, suited up in 118 games as an outside hitter for The Beach, including a trip to the NCAA Final Four in 2008.

He is working to graduate in the spring of 2010 with degrees in political science and kinesiology. 

The hiring adds another new face to the sidelines for the upcoming season. Matt Ulmer and Erika Chidester were named the assistant coaches last spring.

Ulmer was promoted from the volunteer position, while Chidester, a former 49er women’s volleyball player, was hired following the departures of Debbie Green and Melissa Ohta.

E-mail addresses are used only to notify you of replies and are not displayed