Senior returns to court after overcoming health problems

Less than a year ago, Brandon Nevens was preparing for his first season as part of the Long Beach State men’s basketball team. A life-threatening injury put those plans on hold, but after a long road back the 6-foot-3 guard is anxious to take the court once again.

Nevens, who will be a senior this upcoming season, learned last summer that he had a kidney ailment after collapsing on the Jack Rose Stadium track during a conditioning exercise. The condition caused Nevens to miss the entire 2008-09 season.

More importantly, it put his life in jeopardy.

The Lakewood native was able to have emergency surgery to relieve severe swelling that had built up in his legs, but he remained upbeat and confident that his basketball career would be able to resume.

“I got all the kinks out over the spring,” Nevens said. “I worked really hard in the weight room to get stronger. That was the biggest part of it. I was really skinny while I was in the hospital and now I’m finally back to where I was.”

Nevens has not had to change his lifestyle much from how it was prior to the injury, which he calls simply a bump in the road. He does take magnesium pills now, but Nevens says he mainly just needs to be mindful of his diet.

One of the toughest things for Nevens to do while recuperating was to sit on the bench and watch while his teammates played the game he loves so much.

“Even the first year, without the injury, it’s just hard to watch your teammates play and compete without you,” Nevens said. “It’s really hard taking two years off, really hard. I just want to get out there and show what I can do.”

It has been a long two years for Nevens — who has sat out the last two seasons after transferring from Cal State Bakersfield — but he is eager to finally showcase his skills for the LBSU fans.

Nevens has been able to stay in shape and work on his game by competing against quality talent in the Nike Say No Classic summer league. Nevens, who is playing for the SoCal Warriors team is not only using the opportunity to stay in shape, but he is making an effort to get better as an all-around player.

“I think I can bring a lot of defense to the team,” Nevens said. “I’m pretty tough as a player, and I don’t let anybody run me over. I love to rebound, and that was a big point that our coach [Dan Monson] emphasized last season, especially against big teams like Oregon and Syracuse.”

Nevens said that when the team takes the Jack Rose track this season for conditioning, he is going to face the situation without fear.

The 49ers will be heavy at the guard position this upcoming season with returners Greg Plater and Stephan Gilling, but Nevens will also have to compete with incoming transfer Tristan Wilson for playing time.

As for when he finally gets to take the floor at the Walter Pyramid Nevens says with a smile, “I’ll be ready.”