Dodger fans have no problem with ‘Manny being Manny’

Los Angeles Dodger fans must be so annoyed with monkeys.

There’s that primate chattering on the Dodgers’ backs as they try to reach a World Series for the first time in 20 seasons.

Then there’s the rally monkey donned in Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim gear chattering right beside it.

If only it were as easy as throwing a banana to get them off.

It’s been six full seasons since Angels fans have had bragging rights over Dodger fans after their rally monkey mascot helped spark the Angels’ 2002 World Series win.

The Angels have become a perennial playoff team, winning four of the last 5 American League West division titles. While the Dodgers are seeking their second division title in two seasons, and are barely starting to approach the Halos’ consistency.

As of Aug. 4, L.A. has the best record in baseball at 66-41, but the Angels are not far behind at 63-41.

Dodger fans aren’t used to this type of championship drought, however, and definitely aren’t used to being second so rivaled by the Angels.

This is the franchise that ranks sixth all-time in World Series titles with six, while the Angels have one.

And the same organization boasting Hall of Fame pedigree like Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Don Sutton and Roy Campanella (the Angels have no players inducted into the Hall as an Angel).

They’ll look past anything to make these monkeys go away.

When Manny Ramirez was suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a banned substance, Dodger fans experienced anger and unrest. But as soon as he came back, fans embraced the dreadlocked superstar.

Then it’s discovered that he tested positive for steroids in 2003, tainting the Boston Red Sox titles in 2004 and 2007 for many baseball fans.

However, Dodger fans still hypocritically admire and root him on.

Dodger fans are the ones who chastised former San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds for allegedly using steroids, and the same fans that seem to ridicule every other linked player connected to steroid use.

Yet they look past players from their team linked to steroids such as, Eric Gagne, Paul Lo Duca, and Guillermo Mota — all three players have been Dodger fan favorites.

It comes back to their World Series drought.

The organization has relished in the image of hobbled Kirk Gibson trotting the base paths, pumping his fist after belting a pivotal home run in the Dodgers’ 1988 World Series victory over the Oakland A’s.

Dodger fans want to forget about last year’s disappointment of defeating the Chicago Cubs — the team with the best record in the National League in 2008 — and then losing their next series to the eventual champion Philadelphia Phillies.

L.A. fans want to soften the irritation of having five straight Rookie of the Year winners — Eric Karros (1992), Piazza (1993), Raul Mondesi (1994), Hideo Nomo (1995) and Todd Hollandsworth (1996) — and no titles to show for it.

Dodgertown wants to have bragging rights over their freeway rival, rally monkey-loving Angel fans. And they need to have new memories to offset the 20 season of failure.

They’ll root for steroid users and hypocritically jeer opposing players. Dodger fans will let anything go as long as a title comes back to L.A.

Until then, the chattering continues.