Sports Picks: August 13

Women’s tennis: Grady named assistant coach

Former Long Beach State women’s tennis standout Hannah Grady will take over assistant coaching duties for the 2009-10 season. Grady was a four-time Big West Player of the Year at LBSU, helping the 49ers earn four trips to the NCAA Tournament while extending an active streak of six Big West Conference titles. The Coventry, England native is the program’s all-time leader in wins at 172, with 93 of those coming in singles action. She also was an Academic All-American as a senior, accumulating a 3.93 grade point average while working toward a degree in political science. Grady replaces Hally Cohen, who parted ways with the program to become Head Pro and Manager of the Beverly Hills Tennis Club.

Men’s volleyball: Beach men bolster coaching staff

LBSU interim head coach Andy Read announced the hiring of Scott Lane as an assistant coach on Monday. Lane comes to The Beach after spending one season as an assistant for the men’s and women’s programs at Golden West College, where he won two California state championships as a player in 1997 and 1998. He was responsible for organizing the Rustlers’ pregame and postgame workout routines, along with providing instruction in defensive signaling and blocking strategies. Lane also played two seasons at the NCAA Division I level for Indiana Purdue-Purdue University Fort Wayne, including a berth in the 1999 Final Four where the Mastodons fell to the 49ers.

Women’s soccer: ‘Niners host Azusa Pacific in scrimmage

The 49er women’s soccer team faces Azusa Pacific University at George Allen Field in an exhibition on Saturday, Aug. 15 at 5 p.m. APU, based in Azusa, Calif., participates at the NAIA level. The Cougars went 19-3 last season, advancing all the way to the NAIA quarterfinals. Regular season play for LBSU kicks off Sunday, Aug. 23 when the ‘Niners host 2008 Western Athletic Conference champion Fresno State.