Women’s soccer looks to build on breakthrough season

After capturing three straight Big West Conference regular-season crowns, the Long Beach State women’s soccer team is ready to meet this season’s challenges.

One of the challenges will be uniting a new squad before the season starts. The 49ers have 17 new players this year, including 13 freshmen and four transfers.

The ‘Niners will have to replace 11 seniors who graduated from last year’s team, including Hayley Bolt and Kim Silos. The pair helped lead The Beach to its first-ever appearance in the NCAA Tournament last season.

However, head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said he believes that a basic foundation in the squad will allow it to compete this season.

“Through training and repetition,” Ingrassia said in regards to the players getting used to each other. “We have enough of a nucleus that they’re not all going to go in and play at once. We’ll just plug in the new players.”

LBSU played a scrimmage against Azusa Pacific University on Aug. 15 at George Allen Field. The 49ers won, 1-0, and featured three starting freshmen that played comfortably and displayed confidence.

Freshman Alex Balcer started at center defense along with junior Bo Rael. The duo made a solid block against Azusa with great speed and intelligent defensive cuts.

Freshmen Jenny Soza started at left midfield. However, Ingrassia moved her around the field throughout the game, including forward and left back, and played each position effectively.

Whitney Velez scored the game-winner in her debut for The Beach, with a chest trap before defeating the goalkeeper with a high shot. The forward showed great speed and movement on the field and demonstrated confidence in her passes.

“I feel so much pressure,” Velez said. “[But] I’m really excited and motivated.”

Many players feel this pressure and intimidation ahead of the season. However, Ingrassia said he believes that a tradition is being developed within the team that will help lead the way for years to come.

“We have a little bit of a tradition now,” Ingrassia said. “Tradition is the best motivator. We have players that have been here and looked up to other players, and we want to continue that.”

Lindsay Bullock is one of the players leading and adding to the team’s tradition and legacy. She was selected the Big West Midfielder of the Year last season and is the reigning goal scorer for the team.

“I’m just excited to see where we go,” Bullock said. “We have a strong core [and] our work ethic is really good.”

The 49ers have a tough schedule this season that includes a four-match road trip and four nationally-ranked teams, including hosting NSCAA preseason No. 5 UCLA on Aug. 30. LBSU faces UC Santa Barbara, who was picked to win the Big West title this season, on the road on Oct. 15.

The schedule also features a four-game road trip that begins at Kansas (Sept. 4) and includes No. 24 Missouri (Sept. 6), Harvard (Sept. 11) and No. 23 Boston College (Sept. 13).

The 49ers host No. 13 San Diego (Oct. 7) in a rematch from last season’s NCAA first round.

Bullock and Rael believe that this season will be promising, and want to continue the success they have attained in previous years.

“We’re off to a good start and we have really high expectations,” Rael said. “We made it to the NCAA Tournament last year, and we can do it again.”

The 49ers host Fresno State in the season opener Sunday. Kick off is scheduled for 3 p.m. at George Allen Field.