‘Niners shut out Bulldogs in home season opener

Long Beach State opened the 2009 season with a 2-0 victory over Fresno State at George Allen Field on Sunday.

Midfielder Shawna Gordon had a superb game in the home opener for the 49ers (1-0-0), in which she scored a goal and assisted midfielder Lindsay Bullock in the win against the Bulldogs (0-2-0).

The Beach took the lead in the 13th minute after Bullock scored on a header from a corner kick taken by Gordon. Bullock was the leading scorer for the 49ers last season and was on mark to head in the ball to the upper corner of the goal.

The 49ers went up 2-0 in the 70th minute after Gordon curled a corner kick for a goal. The Bulldogs’ goalie Kaitlyn Revel missed the ball as it went through her hands as she tried to clear it from the area.

The 49ers came out on the attack early and maintained vast possession throughout the match. Defender Nicole Hubbard had a shot to post in the 8th minute of play after a chipped pass from Gordon.

LBSU has 17 new players this season, including 13 freshmen and four transfers. However, the team seemed to connect on the field offensively with great runs along the wings and defensively with a solid block and a recovering midfield.

“We’re coming along really well,” Gordon said. “A lot of the freshmen stepped up pretty well.”

LBSU sophomore goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough did not have to make a save en route to the shutout.

The 49ers received a scare moments after Bullock’s goal when Bulldog defender Rachel Pickett hit the post from 30 yards out on a loose ball.

Head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said he enjoyed his team’s first victory of the season, but believes the team has to improve in many aspects for the long season ahead of them.

“Overall, great start,” Ingrassia said. “[We] should’ve put away a couple of more goals in the first half. Our finishing and our final pass needs to improve.”

The 49ers will face No. 5 UCLA at George Allen Field on Sunday ahead of a four-game road trip against teams that made the NCAA Tournament last season. However, Ingrassia believes the team can come out with a positive result.

“We have a lot of work to do,” Ingrassia said. “[But] we’ve got to take it one game at a time in training.”