Men's Volleyball, Sports

Senior remembers big but not so easy journey

Naomi Washington has always understood the value of patience.

She had to practice it diligently as an incoming freshman in 2005 when, like most people with ties to the Crescent City, her attention shifted to events surrounding Hurricane Katrina. Washington was unable to get in contact with her family after the storm made landfall.

“I couldn’t get a hold of them for a month and a half,” Washington said. “I didn’t know if they were alive or not.”

She credits her teammates at the time, including current 49er assistant coach Erika Chidester, for helping her lean on the game for comfort at a time when her focus could have easily shifted away from volleyball.

“Erika kept me sane and took me under her wing,” Washington said.

Fortunately, her family turned up safe, and they will have a chance to see her and the 49er women’s volleyball team in this weekend’s Sugar Bowl Classic, giving Washington the opportunity to compete in front of her hometown crowd.

Aside from awaiting news on the whereabouts of her relatives, Washington also had to bide her time in other aspects of her life.

Coming in as a redshirt freshman, she waited in the shadow of All-American middle blocker Alexis Crimes for three years before finally having the opportunity to come into her own. And being the 12th of 14 children also makes it easy to be overlooked when vying for mom and dad’s attention.

But the moment will be entirely hers when the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team enters Fogelman Arena on the campus of Tulane University to face the University of New Orleans on Friday. The Beach faces LSU and Tulane the following day to conclude the tournament.

“I’m nervous and anxious. I’ve never played in front of my family before,” Washington said.

Washington said the team would be flying to New Orleans in time for her father’s birthday.

“I don’t want to miss dad’s birthday this year. I’ve missed a lot,” she said.

She recalls the unique charm of life on the bayou; the dinners with her tightly-knit family, the respect people showed for elders, and the “good mornings” exchanged between complete strangers. This is not to be confused with the sprawling and sometimes impersonal metropolis that is Southern California.

“The people are totally different. It’s like a family in New Orleans,” she said.

The LBSU middle blocker has been anticipating this road trip ever since the team’s loss to Stanford in last year’s NCAA second round. After the final team meeting before winter break, Washington visited with head coach Brian Gimmillaro inquiring about the trip to New Orleans.

“We tell our players from out of the area that we will come to their home at some time during their careers,” Gimmillaro said.

The road trips also have to be financially feasible in terms of traveling expenses. Fortunately for Washington, the three opponents awaiting The Beach are all within driving distance of the tournament site.

“She has a large family so I’m glad to have the opportunity to take her back [home] for her senior year,” Gimmillaro said.

The 25th-year head coach said that Washington “was a Long Beach State player the first time I saw her.”

Washington prepped at Warren Easton High School, and during her senior season, had the option of focusing on either basketball or volleyball. She decided on the latter because it was “more fun” and of the numerous offers she received to play at the NCAA Division I level.

She ultimately chose The Beach over perennial volleyball powerhouses such as Hawaii, Texas and Washington among others.

“Brian is a volleyball genius. I came in very raw as a freshman. I learned everything from him,” Washington said.

The commitment to Long Beach State volleyball was a compatible match for both parties. Washington registered a Big West Conference-best .351 hitting percentage and team-leading 115 blocks in 2008 to garner an AVCA All-America honorable mention.

Now as the team captain, it is her turn to play the role of mentor.

Sophomore middle blocker Michelle Osunbor said she has seen her own game blossom as a result of having to challenge Washington at the net during practice.

“In practice, she’s my opponent, but at the end of the day, I’m glad she’s my teammate,” Osunbor said.

For a team with 13 underclassmen on the roster, Washington’s experience and knowledge of the game commands the respect of her teammates.

“We all want to play for her and this being her senior year, I want her to go out strong,” Osunbor said.

Washington wants her swan song to be a memorable one also and topping her collegiate career with another All-American nod would be one way to go out. She is considering post-collegiate options of playing professionally overseas, or staying put where she can continue to benefit under Gimmillaro’s instruction.

“If I stay out here, I can train harder, but at the same time, I don’t want to miss home,” she said. “I’ll decide when the time comes.”

As Washington has witnessed throughout her 49er career, great things tend to happen whenever she waits it out. And her coach has seen her flourish into a fiery team leader after having to take a backseat role her first season on the squad.

“She’s developed physically, and in character, has matured the way an athlete is supposed to mature,” Gimmillaro said. “She’s gotten everything out of sports that you’re supposed to and I’m proud of her for doing that.”