Baseball, Men's Volleyball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Sept. 22

Women’s volleyball: The Beach returns to national rankings

The 49ers jumped back into the American Volleyball Coaches Association Top 25 poll released Monday morning.

LBSU (7-3) received a boost after defeating Fordham and then-No. 7 UCLA in straight sets over the weekend at the Cal State Fullerton Tournament at Titan Gym. The Bruins (10-3) plunged to No. 14 after being swept by the 49ers and losing to the host Titans the previous night in five sets.

Penn State retained the No. 1 spot with 50 first place votes. The Nittany Lions have yet to drop a set this season in 12 matches.

The Beach begins Big West Conference play Saturday at 7 p.m. when the team returns to Titan Gym to face Fullerton.

Baseball: Dirtbag recruiting class rated in Top 40

The Dirtbags landed at No. 40 in a recruiting class ranking released by Collegiate Baseball, tied with fellow Big West member Cal State Northridge.

The Beach is one of four Big West schools to crack the Top 40. The 2010 Dirtbag incoming class includes nine pitchers and six position players.

The incoming pitchers are: Kenny Arnerich, Will Lamarche, Eddie Magallon, Jordan Mejia, Tommy Nance, Brandon Pinder, Cris Trout, Nate Underwood and Troy Watson.

The position players include: Juan Avila, Matt Duffy, Juan Favela, Matt Hibbert, R.J. Santigate and Joel Thys.

Defending conference champion Cal State Fullerton was ranked at No. 5, while UC Irvine grabbed the No. 31 spot.

The Florida Gators grabbed the No. 1 spot on the list, with Arizona State, Louisiana State and Central Florida following behind.