Newcomers and returning players making off-season strides

Individual workouts for the Long Beach State men’s basketball team are underway, and head coach Dan Monson is finally getting a chance to work with his promising new squad.

There are 17 players listed on the 49ers’ roster, which means plenty of new faces for the coaching staff to get acclimated with. The list includes two walk-ons to the LBSU roster, Jerramy King and Sean Starkey.

Center Andrew Fleming is one of many returning players whose off-season work in the weight-room may pay dividends once the season begins. The senior is listed at 290 pounds, which is nearly 35 pounds more than he weighed at the beginning of last season.

“Andrew Fleming has gotten the lifting bug,” Monson said. “He’s in there all the time now, and that’s what it takes.”

Sophomore Eugene Phelps also made the most of his time off the court. Besides lifting weights, Phelps used the Nike Say No summer league to improve his overall game.

“I think he’s going to be an integral part because he’s multi-dimensional,” Monson said. “Especially now because he’s worked his perimeter game a little bit. He had never lifted a weight seriously in his life until he got here. We tested him coming back in and he was by far the most improved strength-wise.”

Monson mentioned that he believes Phelps being overshadowed by his fellow freshmen last season could add extra motivation for the 6-foot-6 post player.

“Any motivating factor that can get a guy to excel is what you’re looking for,” Monson said. “Certainly that is one that we’re trying to draw off of. I think last year he came in not knowing what to expect, and when he finally found his role he did a good job of accepting it but not liking it.

“That’s what you want as a coach. You want guys to accept their role, but if it’s limited you don’t want them to like it.”

One incoming player who could have an immediate impact is MiraCosta College transfer Lin Chang. A 6-foot-9 native of China, Chang will mostly play center according to Coach Monson, but his versatility could be most important to the 49ers.

“Lin is the X-factor on this team right now,” Monson said. “You bring in [community college] guys to try and get you over the hump. He has had good individual workouts, but he gets frustrated very easily because he’s got a lot to learn. But, he’s made tremendous strides. I think he could be a tremendous asset to our team, because he is the one big man that we have that can knock down 3s.”

Monson speaks highly of King, an incoming freshman from Crespi High School, and his ability to help out at a thin position for the 49ers.

“We felt like point guard was one of those things that you only have two in your program and one rolls an ankle,” Monson said. “It’s nice to have a third point guard. It’s a depth thing. He’s a good student and a good kid, so we’re happy to have him.”

Starkey, a transfer from Cypress College, was referred to Monson by some of the other current 49er players who had played with the 6-foot-4 guard/forward.

“He played with our guys [over the summer],” Monson said. “Our guys thought he was pretty good.”

Monson hopes that the addition of the newcomers, as well as the development of the returning players, can lead to a winning combination this season.

Notes:

Monson said that Big West Freshman of the Year, Larry Anderson, is expected to have his cast removed today. Anderson injured his shooting hand requiring surgery over the summer.

Blue Ribbon Magazine picked The Beach to win the Big West Conference on Tuesday. They also selected Anderson and T.J. Robinson for the preseason All-Big West team.