Wife, husband make ‘Wynn’-ing combo

Jody and Derek Wynn have been coaching together for the past nine years. They’ve been married to each other just as long.

First-year Long Beach State women’s basketball head coach Jody Wynn is energetic and enthusiastic. During practice, she’s all over the court, hustling in between spots on the floor. She frequently gives instructions and demonstrates how to correctly complete drills.

“Let’s go,” she hollered as she claps her hands, prompting the team to turn it up a notch during a recent workout.

Derek Wynn projects calm and cool. His footsteps on the court are soft. He appears completely relaxed as he directs defensive drills, alternating his hands as he points in opposite directions, first to the right and then to the left.

“I think we work really well together, we see things almost identical so it’s a nice healthy working relationship,” Jody said.

Derek agreed. “Working together is good, everyday is different and we are allowed to do what we love,” he said.

Jody and Derek might share the same basketball philosophies, however, they do have different coaching styles.

“Derek is more of a defensive minded guy and I’m more of an offensive minded girl,” Jody said.

Prior to coming to LBSU, Jody and Derek both held assistant coaching positions at Pepperdine and USC. Now that Jody is the new head women’s basketball coach, Derek continues to stay by her side.

As for their differences, Derek said they don’t always see eye to eye.

“She might see things one way and I might see it another but we’re able to come together, talk about things and compromise,” he said. “I’m also more laid back and she’s more animated.”

The influence the Wynns have had on the team so far is apparent.

“Our work ethic is a lot better than it was last year,” junior LaTorya Barbee said. “We’re working hard, conditioning really hard, and we’re determined to get better everyday.”

As for the amount of time they spend together, Derek said, “We’re not always doing the same thing.”

Jody expressed the same view.

“I have my office and he has his, so we’re not always together like people think,” she said. “We have so many other duties besides just on the floor coaching.”

One of the many off-court duties includes raising their two young daughters, Jada and Kaeli.

Jody admitted that sometimes it can be hard because they are both gone a lot.

“I’ve missed my kids first soccer practice. I’ve missed team pictures and a team party,” she said.

Fortunately, they have supportive grandparents whom coach Wynn praises.

“We absolutely couldn’t do it without them,” she said.

It can be easy for the coaching duo to take their work home with them, and both can attest to that.

“It can be a bit too much,” Derek said.

Jody thinks their around-the-clock committment to the program could pay off down the road.

“Sometimes I want to be able to take the kids to the water park and not discuss a recruit,” Jody said grinning. “But this is what we do and hopefully that’s what’s going to make our program successful.”