Women’s golf turns in top-20 individual finish

Freshman Simone Hoey jumped 11 spots up the leaderboard to lead the Long Beach State women’s golf team in the final round action Wednesday in Sammamish, Wash.

As a team, the 49ers tied for 11th at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational with a 29-over-par 317 round to finish the three-day tournament at 104-over 968.

No. 13 California won the 13-team event by five strokes over No. 24 Stanford. The Golden Bears shot 10-over 298 over the final 18 holes to end up at 33-over 897.

Hoey found the most success for the ‘Niners on the final day at the Sahalee Country Club’s 6,136-yard course. She tied for 35th place with a 4-over 76 performance — tying teammate Noelle Zavaleta for the lowest LBSU individual round at the event — to finish with a 23-over 239 total.

Zavaleta, a sophomore transfer from Boise State, recorded the highest individual finish (t-20th) for the 49ers but dropped six spots on the leaderboard. She fired a 7-over 79 round to turn in a 17-over 233 scorecard.

San Jose State’s Katrina Delen Briones edged out San Francisco’s Natasha Podmore by a stroke to win the individual crown. Briones carded a 1-under 71 score to end the tournament at 3-over 219.

Here’s a look at how the rest of the 49ers placed: Reina Rogers (t-53rd), Brenda Chhuor (t-59th) and Reece Feducia (68th).