Aim for the bull’s-eye

There is an overwhelming sense of anticipation at the Long Beach State archery range, as shooters stand in a line eager to punish targets waiting 70 meters away.

The Long Beach State Archery Club (LBSAC) is entering its 46th year on campus, making it the longest running collegiate archery program in the United States. The team participates in competitions across the country and placed first overall in the West Region competition in 2009, earning 11 of the 32 available medals.

The LBSAC also hosted the 2009 United States Intercollegiate Archery Championship, where it placed sixth overall in a field that included 35 colleges and more than 200 participants.

The team consists of 12 members who are chosen to compete in four divisions: men’s and women’s recurve bow, and men’s and women’s compound bow. The LBSAC is led by 2009 West Region Coach of the Year Mike Burnham, along with coach and former club president Chad Mansfield.

Members of the team say their competitive success is a product of hard work and mental toughness instilled by their coaches.

“Archery really is 95 percent mental and 5 percent physical, so when you’re at a tournament, not only should you be focused, but you should be calm,” said team member Vickie Phan.

Tournaments force individuals to focus on their own shots, and block out that of their competition.

“It’s a head game,” team member Tiffany Hsu added. “Some of the archers from other schools, they will try and get in your head.”

The club practices at 1 p.m. every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, dedicating one day to a handicapped competition within the team that awards members who show the greatest improvement.

Members are encouraged to shoot 90 arrows each session to build and maintain their skill level; however, Burnham also places great value in trusting one’s own abilities.

“Most coaches don’t really emphasize on that, but Coach Mike, he really emphasizes how much of [archery] is in the heart,” Phan said.
Burnham’s personality and coaching style are well received by his pupils.

“One of Coach Mike’s sayings is, ‘Just shoot the damn arrow!’ ” Hsu said laughing, referring to times when she or a teammate is pressing for a perfect shot. “We shoot it and we get it into the 10 ring and we’re like, ‘Oh,’ and he’s like, ‘See, listen to me.’ ”

The club is open to all LBSU students and all skill-levels are encouraged to stop by practice and meet the club members.
The LBSAC will be hosting a training session with Kisik Lee, head coach of the U.S. Olympic Archery Training Program, from Nov. 14-15.

For more information on the LBSAC, visit its Web site at www.csulb.edu/org/sports/archery/.