Baseball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Nov. 10

Women’s Soccer: Three players earn All-Conference recognition

The 49er women’s soccer team landed three players on an All-Big West Conference team for the 2009 season on Tuesday.

Midfielders Shawna Gordon and Lindsay Bullock were named to the first team, while defender Chantel Hubbard was a second-team selection.

Gordon improved on her honorable mention distinction from last year after leading the team in goals (5), assists (5) and points (15). She collected her first multi-goal game after netting two in a 2-1 win over UC Davis.

Bullock earned her second consecutive first team honor after tallying four goals and nine points in her junior campaign. She also led the team in total shots (48) and shots on goal (22).

Hubbard grabbed her first conference honor after recording four assists — three of which came on flip throw-ins — and helped anchor the 49er backline in all 19 matches this past season.

Baseball: Longoria bags Gold Glove Award

Tampa Bay Rays third baseman Evan Longoria became the first Dirtbag to earn a Gold Glove Award, Major League Baseball announced on Tuesday.

Longoria, the American League Rookie of the Year in 2008, gloved the defensive honor for the third base position. He turned 43 double plays and had 302 assists to go with a .970 fielding percentage.

Longoria batted .281 with 33 home runs and 113 RBIs this past season, and is the fourth-youngest third baseman to win the award.