Men's Volleyball, Sports

Sophomore steps up with career night

RIVERSIDE — With star middle blocker Naomi Washington not available due to the flu, Caitlin Ledoux stepped up with a career performance Thursday night at the Student Recreation Center.

The sophomore outside hitter swatted a career-high 33 kills on 74 swings and .311 hitting to lead the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team to a four-set victory over host UC Riverside. The 49ers won the contest 29-27, 21-25, 25-22, 25-16 to pull a full game ahead of UC Santa Barbara and UC Davis, which were both idle tonight.

LBSU (17-6, 10-3 Big West Conference) is seeking its second straight Big West title and record 10th overall.

“I thought Caitlin just did a tremendous job,” head coach Brian Gimmillaro said. “She had 33 kills and we needed every one of them.”

Ledoux, who added nine digs and a pair of service aces, became just the third 49er — and first since Tayyiba Haneef-Park in 2000 — to reach 33 kills, which is tied for the sixth-highest in a single match in LBSU history. Only Haneef-Park and Tara Cross-Battle have reached the mark.

“That was my night,” Ledoux said. “Naomi’s such a big part of our team, such a big scorer, so we all just wanted to show that … we can do it, too.”

Washington’s status for the next match is uncertain, Gimmillaro said.

Jessica Thomas, playing in just her second match of the season, took advantage of rare playing time to add 10 kills for the ‘Niners.

“She did so good,” Ledoux said. “She was really nervous before [the match] but came out strong. We’re all really proud of her.”

Libero Lauren Minkel chipped in with 18 digs while Libby Fontanilla (17), Ashley Lee (11) and Laura Schuck (11) also reached double figures. Lee also added 56 assists.

“It’s not just digs with Lauren Minkel,” Gimmillaro said. “Those are digs that people can’t make.”

The Highlanders (6-18, 3-10 Big West) were paced by Dominique Cowling’s 18 kills and 16 digs.

UCR raced out to an 8-3 lead to open the fourth set but the 49ers chipped away and eventually grabbed a 13-12 lead and never looked back to cruise to a 25-16 victory.

LBSU led by as many as five points early in the third set but could never really pull away. The inability to capitalize let the Highlanders sneak back into the frame and tie it at 22.

After Brittney Herzog gave the ‘Niners the lead back, Lee made two critical plays on the following rally to push the lead to 24-22. Lee chased down a ball to keep the rally alive and recovered just in time to block UCR’s Tonbara Youpele for the score.

Youpele then closed the set with a hitting error into the net to hand LBSU a 25-22 victory.
Kelley Quinn and Cowling teamed up for 11 of the Highlanders’ 17 kills in set two, as UCR hit .471 to come away with a 25-21 win.

The Highlanders led 15-12 going into the frame’s first timeout, but the 49ers rallied back to cut the deficit to a point when Thomas’ kill pulled LBSU to within 18-17.

UCR bounced back with four of the next six points to restore the three-point advantage and run the score to 22-19. The Beach never recovered and Cowling delivered the final dagger to tie the match at a set apiece.

Ledoux willed the ‘Niners to a 1-0 lead with an impressive 13 kills to open the match.

UCR, which came into the contest ranked last in the Big West with a .164 team hitting percentage, matched LBSU point for point late in the first set to tie the frame at 21 heading into a timeout.

With the Highlanders ahead, 27-26, Ledoux tied the set, Michelle Osunbor and Thomas teamed up for a block, and Ledoux capped the 29-27 victory with an ace.

“For not playing at all, [Thomas] did a nice job,” Gimmillaro said.

The 49ers will play their final road match of the regular season tomorrow night against Cal State Northridge at 7 p.m.