Men's Volleyball, Sports

Washington reaches milestone in 5-set victory

Fifth-year senior Naomi Washington capped off what might be her Walter Pyramid finale in fitting fashion and left with a milestone Saturday night.

Washington hammered a match-high 22 kills — including the 1,000th of her career — to guide the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team to a five-set victory over Utah. The 49ers outlasted the Utes — 25-18, 22-25, 23-25, 25-22, 15-13 — to close the regular season.

“I actually checked that out at the beginning of the season,” Washington said, “and I was like, ‘There is no way I’m gonna get this many kills if I play middle [blocker].'”

At the beginning of the season, head coach Brian Gimmillaro switched Washington over from middle blocker, which she played her previous three seasons, to outside hitter.

“When he put me on the outside I was like, ‘I’ve got a shot!'” an animated Washington said.

The 49ers (22-8) jumped out to a quick 6-2 lead in the final set with the help of a pair of service aces from Ashley Lee and Lauren Minkel.

The Utes (17-12) closed the gap at 11-9, but then Washington took over, rocked back Stephanie Neeley with an emphatic kill and made a solo block on the following play.

Utah threatened again, pulling to within 14-13 on an ace in the left corner of the court by Abby Simmons, but she then handed the match to the ‘Niners on an errant serve.

“We won against a good team that was fighting to get in the [NCAA] Tournament,” Gimmillaro said.

Caitlin Ledoux added 21 kills to go with 11 digs, Lee finished with 54 assists and 14 digs, while Minkel contributed a career-high 34 digs for the ‘Niners.

Chelsey Sandberg was one of three Utah players to finish with double-digit kills. Sandberg paced the team with 19, followed by 16 apiece from Cinthia Silva and Karolina Bartkowiak. Danielle Killpack added nine block assists.

Both teams made their presence felt at the net, recording 15 team blocks apiece.

The Beach woke up from a slow start to set four, scoring seven of eight points to take a 16-13 lead into a Utah timeout.

With the Utes trying to build momentum and down just two points, the ‘Niners answered with back-to-back scores including a Ledoux kill into Simmons’ chest to push the lead back to 21-17.

Utah then cut the deficit to a point twice, but Libby Fontanilla flew in for a kill and Jennifer Lanting’s attempt on the ensuing play sailed wide to give The Beach a 25-22 victory and force the fifth and deciding set.

Washington earned her 11th kill of the match in set three to become the 15th player in 49er history to reach 1,000 career kills. Former LBSU outside hitter Quincy Verdin accomplished the feat last season.

Redshirt freshman Jocelyn Neely bumped a pass to Lee, who fed the 6-foot-3 outside hitter for the milestone kill and a 15-9 lead.

“My friend kept reminding me after every game,” Washington admitted about her career kill total entering the weekend. She now owns 1,011 career kills.

But that was where the celebrating stopped for LBSU. The 49ers squandered a 19-11 advantage, as the Utes went on a 12-0 run capped by a Neeley ace to take a 23-19 lead. Silva closed the set on a soft tap over the net to give Utah a 25-23 victory.

The Utes hit .372 to pull out a 25-22 win in set two. Bartkowiak and Silva combined for half of the team’s 18 kills in the frame to pace Utah.

The ‘Niners came out firing and led by as many as 10 points in a 25-18 victory to open the match.

Trailing 24-14, Utah reeled off four consecutive points before Ledoux’s fifth kill of the frame ended the first set. LBSU hit .206 while limiting Utah to a .051 clip.

Washington and Herzog were both honored before the final home contest of their careers on Senior Night. Herzog was an All-Big West Conference selection in both of her two seasons after transferring from Missouri State-West Plains. Washington closed out a five-year stay at The Beach that included an honorable mention All-American selection.

Utah’s Sandberg and Silva were also recognized for the final regular season matches of their careers.

The 49ers will be at Legends Sports Bar and Grill on Sunday to find out where they will start the NCAA Tournament. The selection show will air on ESPNEWS at noon and reveal the entire 64-team field and host sites. LBSU placed a bid to be a host for the first and second round at the Walter Pyramid but it is unlikely the venue will be selected.

Game notes

While Herzog was joined on the court by her parents for the ceremony, Washington’s “second family” — the family of former 49er Cynthia Buggs, including her father Carl — greeted her with flowers. Washington credited the Buggs family for welcoming her into their home as a freshman from New Orleans, La.