Men's Basketball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Dec. 22

Men’s basketball: Ware earns first career Big West Player of the Week

Sophomore point guard Casper Ware the fourth Long Beach State player to earn Big West Conference Player of the Week honors in six weeks. Ware grabbed the weekly award for the first time in his career after leading The Beach past Utah State 75-62 last Friday at the Walter Pyramid.

The 5-foot-10 guard scored 19 points, just two off his career high, and handed out seven assists against WAC favorite Utah State to help LBSU move to 6-4 on the season and 3-0 at home. Ware also forced WAC Preseason Player of the Year Jared Quayle into a 2-for-11 shooting night. Ware ran his double-digit scoring streak to a career-best five games. During that five-game span, Ware has averaged 15.2 points and 7.2 assists per game, with a 1.9 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Ware joined sophomores Larry Anderson and T.J. Robinson and senior Stephan Gilling as Big West Player of the Week honorees for LBSU.

49ers head to Lexington, Ky.

Fans can watch LBSU face No. 3 Kentucky at Legends Sports Bar and Grill on Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Fans will have the option to purchase a ticket for the all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet for just $5. There will be no charge to use the breakfast buffet for Monson Maniacs who are wearing their T-shirt.

The game can also be viewed on Fox Sports South and online at ESPN360.

Other LBSU News: ‘Niners recognized for academic achievement

Eight 49ers qualified for Academic All-Conference honors, including four soccer players and two each from women’s volleyball and women’s cross country.

Women’s soccer featured four honorees with senior Sarah Strohl, juniors Lindsay Bullock and Kristen Kiefer and sophomore Emily Kingsborough earning recognition.

Women’s Volleyball was represented by libero Lauren Minkel and outside hitter Jocelyn Neely, while a pair of cross country runners were also selected in senior Missy Barclay and sophomore Alisa Barajas.

To be eligible for the award, student-athletes must have completed at least one full academic year, participated in 50 percent of the team’s contest and carry a cumulative 3.2 grade point average.