Men's Basketball, Men's Volleyball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Feb. 11

Men’s Basketball: Second-half fire helps 49ers run past Mustang

Senior guard Stephan Gilling drained four 3-pointers in the second half to lift the Long Beach State men’s basketball team to a 78-72 win over Cal Poly, Thursday night at Mott Gym.

Gilling finished with 14 points on 4-of-10 shooting from behind the arc and 5-of-11 shooting overall as the 49ers (12-12, 6-5 Big West Conference) rallied from a 10-point halftime deficit and outscored Cal Poly, 47-31, in the second half to stay in a three-way tie for third in the Big West standings.

LBSU connected on 60 percent of its field goal attempts in the second half (18-of-30) and 28-of-56 overall as four other ‘Niners joined Gilling in double figures.

Forward Eugene Phelps led all 49ers with 15 points, while T.J. Robinson recorded a double-double with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Greg Plater chipped in 14 points and Casper Ware added 10.

The 49ers recovered from a first half slump where they shot just 10-of-26 from the field and allowed the Mustangs (8-15, 5-6 Big West) to build their lead to as high as 13 within the first 20 minutes of action.

David Hanson paced Cal Poly with 19 points, while Lorenzo Keeler and Shawn Lewis poured 17 apiece. The Mustangs shot at a 39.4 percent clip (13-of-33) from behind the 3-point line, but managed only 37.7 percent overall from the field.

The Beach concludes its Central Coast road trip on Saturday at 4 p.m. when it faces UC
Santa Barbara in a game set to be televised on FSN Prime Ticket.

Men’s Volleyball: Beach men upended by Matador offense

The No. 6 Long Beach State men’s volleyball team went down in straight sets to No. 1 Cal State Northridge, 30-24, 30-24, 30-21 on a night where the Matadors hit .476 as a team.

Senior Dean Bittner led LBSU (5-5, 4-3 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) with 15 kills, but received little support as the 49ers had their three-match winning streak halted.

CSUN out-blocked the 49ers, 7.5-3.5, in a match that lasted one hour, 27 minutes. Tanner Nua captained the Matador offense with 13 kills on .476 hitting, while Theo Edwards contributed 12. Matt Stork led all players with 41 assists.

The 49ers next play host to UC Santa Barbara at the Walter Pyramid on Friday at 7 p.m.

blog comments powered by Disqus