Baseball, Sports

Thompson shines for Dirtbags on rainy opening night

The Dirtbags went into opening night at Blair Field not fully knowing what to expect from an unproven pitching staff.

Head coach Mike Weathers can rest a little easier after the performance that Jake Thompson displayed in front of 1,974 spectators on Friday night.

The junior starting pitcher needed just 105 pitches to earn his first career complete game in Long Beach State’s 2-1 win over Pepperdine to open the 2010 season.

It was an easy night for Thompson, who allowed just four different batters to reach base, as he only had to work through a couple of tough spots during the game.

“That’s what we’ve been working on all fall is keeping the energy up until the end,” Thompson said. “There was no way in hell that I was going to let off on any pitch until I was done.”

The right-hander’s toughest inning came in the top of the seventh when the Waves (0-1) put two runners in scoring position. Pepperdine’s Torrey Jacoby smashed a line drive to Devin Lohman, but a run was able to score from third as Jacoby reached base on a fielder’s choice.

Thompson also showed why he was named the ace by Weathers in the top of the eighth inning when he worked out of a jam with a runner on third base and two outs.

He blew a fastball by Pepperdine catcher Nate Johnson to strike him out and end the inning with the runner stranded at third base.

“Tonight was all about Jake,” Weathers said. “That was quite a start for him in a year when we need him to do, maybe not that every game, but that was an exceptional outing there.”

The Dirtbags (1-0) had a 2-0 lead going into the eighth as they received two runs from leadoff hitter Brennan Metzger in the first and third innings, respectively.

The sophomore was driven in by Lohman in the first inning and scored in the third inning after being hit by a pitch earlier in the frame.

Metzger finished the game by going 1-for-2 with two runs scored and one strikeout. Lohman went 2-for-3 with the one RBI.

“All-in-all I thought the top of our lineup did a good job,” Weathers said. “I thought there were a lot of quality at-bats.”

Joey Terdoslavich almost smashed his first home run as a Dirtbag in the first inning, but Blair Field’s deep right-centerfield wall kept the ball in the park.

Both Weathers and Thompson said they expect Drew Gagnon, Saturday’s starter, to have a similar outing as the two starting pitchers were in a battle all fall for the No.1 spot. Weathers added that Gagnon nearly won the spot before the start of the season.

The Dirtbags will host the University of Oregon at 5:30 p.m. at Blair Field on Saturday.

Gagnon is the projected starter for LBSU, while Justin LaTempa is scheduled to take the hill for the Ducks.

Game note

Former Dirtbag and current Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki threw out the first pitch on opening night.