Baseball, Sports

Late push drops LBSU in Fullerton

FULLERTON — The Dirtbags managed just one run off seven hits in an 8-1 loss to Cal State Fullerton at Goodwin Field in front of 2,027 fans on Sunday.

CSUF pounded out 12 hits in the nonconference meeting between Big West Conference rivals.

“There are some fundamental aspects and basic philosophic principles that we teach here that we are not doing,” Long Beach State head coach Mike Weathers said.

The game was out of reach for the Dirtbags (1-2) in the bottom of the seventh when the Titans got three straight RBI hits to push the lead to 8-1.

“We are in ball games, where all of a sudden we give up a hit and you can see the frustration on the players faces,” Weathers said.

Beach starter Branden Pinder tossed six solid innings, but was out-dueled by CSUF’s Tyler Pill who pitched seven innings, recorded six strikeouts and allowed five hits.

The game started off as a scoreless pitchers’ duel through three innings before CSUF broke the tie with a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth by Christian Colon.

The Dirtbags tied the score in the top of the fifth with a Derek Legg sacrifice fly that plated Jonathan Jones.

Jordan Casas, went 2-for-4 at the plate and Steve Tinoco chipped in a 3-for-4 outing to lead the Dirtbags’ offense.

Gary Brown led the Titans by going 3-for-5 with two RBIs. Nick Ramirez went 2-for-3 and drove in two runs.

“We are just trying to find ourselves as a team,” Casas said. “We are not getting those big hits.”

The Dirtbags look to bounce back against UCLA at Blair Field on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.