Baseball, Sports

Freshman debut spoiled by Bruin bats

The Dirtbags struggled to contain No. 17 UCLA’s red-hot offense Tuesday night as the Bruins slugged their way to a 10-1 win at Blair Field.

The loss was the third in a row for the Dirtbags (1-3) and the third time in four games the team failed to put up more than one run. The Bruins (4-0) stayed undefeated thanks to a loaded offense.

Senior Steve Tinoco led the Dirtbags with two singles and a walk, but didn’t get the support he needed from the rest of the lineup. His teammates went a combined 3-for-27 against UCLA’s solid pitching.

The Dirtbags’ only run of the night came in the bottom of the fourth inning when center fielder Jordan Casas hit a leadoff double down the first base line and later advanced to third on a wild pitch from Bruin starter Garett Claypool. Casas scored on an RBI groundout from Miami-transfer Joey Terdoslavich, who recorded his first RBI as a Dirtbag.

Claypool (1-0) continued his history of success in starts against The Beach as he collected his third win against the team in two seasons. The senior right-hander threw an impressive seven innings and gave up only one earned run on five hits, while striking out four.

Freshman pitcher Eddie Magallon (0-1) had an up-and-down game in his first collegiate start. He gave up seven hits and three earned runs, while striking out four Bruins in 4.2 innings on the mound.

Magallon might have stayed in the game longer if the Bruins hadn’t added two unearned runs in the top of the fifth, putting the Dirtbags down, 5-1. UCLA’s Justin Uribe hit a ball to deep right field that T. J. Mittelstaedt couldn’t hold on to, allowing Beau Amaral and Blair Dunlap to score.

LBSU head coach Mike Weathers said he was satisfied what he saw out of his starting pitcher.

“For a true freshman to come out against UCLA, he should have been into the sixth with one or two runs,” said Weathers. “I was really happy with Eddie.”

The Bruins were led by freshman Cody Regis and junior Brett Krill, who went a combined 6-for-9 with four RBIs. Catcher Steve Rodriquez sent Magallon’s second pitch of the third inning sailing over the right field wall for the only home run of the night.

The Dirtbags travel to Arizona for a three-game series over the weekend.

Weathers said he hopes the team can jumpstart their offense against The Wildcats.

“We need a key hit,” Weathers said. “We are getting people in scoring position but leaving too many people on base.”

Key hits will be needed, as the Wildcats (3-0) have scored at least eight runs in each win this season, including an 18-1 pasting of Utah Valley on Sunday.