Baseball, Sports

Lead slips away against Huskies in series opener

Long Beach State (3-5) held a 9-4 lead in the seventh inning with one out and the bases loaded, until Washington left fielder Julien Pollard hit a slow grounder down the third baseline.

Third baseman Joey Terdoslavich fielded it easily, but made an errant throw home that sailed past catcher Kellen Hoime, allowing two runs to score. The play proved costly in an inning when the Huskies (5-4) scored seven runs in an eventual 11-9 win, Friday night at Blair Field.

“Oh, it was a huge play,” Dirtbag head coach Mike Weathers said. “An error like that allows runs, but at the same time, just gives them a whole lot of momentum and they get excited when a team is pretty much down.”

Dirtbag starter Jake Thompson was given a 6-0 lead after a third inning that saw 12 LBSU hitters step to the plate. But Thompson was unable to get out of the fourth inning after struggling through the first three. He pitched 3.1 innings, walked four, hit one batter and allowed four runs on five hits in 81 pitches.

“He just did not have anything and he could not get anybody out,” Weathers said. “Friday night, 6-0 lead, third inning, you hope that you get a little better pitch ability we call it. But he could not throw anything for a strike.”

With the Dirtbags ahead, 6-4, first baseman Steve Tinoco was hit by a pitch to open the bottom of the fifth. Right fielder TJ Mittelstaedt singled and left fielder Jonathan Jones followed with a sacrifice bunt, moving the runners to second and third.

After second baseman Derek Legg grounded out to the shortstop, Hoime singled to bring in Tinoco and Mittelstaedt. Designated hitter Brennen Metzger tripled to bring in Hoime and extend the lead to 9-4.

The score stayed that way until the top of the seventh when the Huskies pasted seven runs on the board, capped by a two-run pinch hit double by Doug Cherry with two out.

Washington relievers Adrian Gomez, Adam Cimber and Andrew Kittredge combined to pitch the final 4.1 innings, shutting down the Dirtbags’ offense.

“Our (bullpen) did a nice job today,” Washington head coach Lindsay Meggs said. “They came in and kept us where we needed to be and allowed us to hang around a little bit. That was their job today, to try to keep the score manageable.”

LBSU relievers combined for 5.2 innings and allowed nine runs. The Dirtbags used four relievers to get out of what ended up being the decisive seventh inning.

Eight of nine Dirtbag starters scored at least once, led by Metzger, who went 3-for-5 with a run scored and two RBIs. Center fielder Jordan Casas went 2-for-4 with one run scored, one RBI and two steals. Hoime banged out two hits in four at bats, scoring twice with two RBIs and a stolen base.

The Dirtbags play the second game of the series Saturday at noon at Blair Field.

After using six pitchers Friday night, LBSU could be in a tough position for the remainder of the series.

“Our bullpen is taxed,” Weathers said. “Starting pitching on Friday night has to go a little more than three innings. That is why you have your Friday guy be the guy that can go deep in the game. Therefore, you do not use your bullpen much. That is exactly the opposite of what happened tonight.”