Baseball, Men's Water Polo, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 19

Baseball: Dirtbags win slugfest in Vegas

Long Beach State (8-8) racked up 19 hits on its way to a 17-8 win over UNLV on Friday to kick off a three-game series with the Rebels.

Joey Terdoslavich led LBSU with four RBIs for the game, which included a three-run home run in the seventh inning. Jonathan Jones and Matt Duffy drove in two runs apiece.

Steve Tinoco paced all Dirtbag batters with four hits and Brennan Metzger had three. Jordan Casas, Jones and Terdoslavich all collected two hits for the contest.

Drew Gagnon earned the win after tossing 6.0 innings and allowing three runs on seven hits, while striking out six.

The series resumes on Saturday with first pitch set for 2 p.m.

Softball: The Beach drops first game at San Diego Classic II

The 49ers (11-13) gave up three runs in the bottom of the third inning to No. 20/22 Texas A&M and eventually fell, 4-2, to the Aggies on Friday afternoon at the San Diego Classic II.

Junior Brooke Turner (5-5) pitched 5.0 innings, giving up four runs on eight hits, while striking out seven. Taylor Petty tossed one inning of scoreless relief.

The 49ers pounded out five hits on the day with Brandy Reyes going 2-for-3 and freshman Caitrin DeBaun adding an RBI-single. Nalani St. Germain and Ashley Weber also chipped in a hit apiece for LBSU.

The Beach resumes action in San Diego on Saturday against Harvard at 9 a.m. and Oregon State at 11:30 a.m.

Women’s Tennis: Alawi, 49ers stun ranked opposition

Freshman Jaklin Alawi collected an upset win at No. 1 singles as No. 53 Long Beach State downed No. 42 Nebraska, 5-2, on Friday to push its winning streak to six matches.

The 49ers (12-2) grabbed five of the six singles matches, with Alawi toppling No. 70 Mary Weatherholt in straight sets 7-5, 6-4 for her second win over a ranked opponent. Alawi has won four of five matches since playing out of the No. 1 singles spot.

Rachel Manasse was the first winner on the day for LBSU, beating Stefanie Weinstein 6-1, 7-5, at No. 4 singles for her sixth straight singles win, while Anna Jeczmionka also earned a quick 6-3, 6-4 win over Jennifer Hombert, at the No. 5 singles spot.

Beach junior Deborah Armstrong tallied the decisive fourth point of the match with a 7-5, 6-3, win over Wiveca Swarting at No. 3 singles, stringing together her ninth straight singles victory.

With the match clinched, Anais Dallara won a super-tiebreaker at No. 2 singles over Madeleine Geibert 7-6 (5), 2-6, 10-6. Freshman Sarah Cantlay was the team’s only loser in singles, falling 6-4, 6-4 to Janine Weinreich at No. 6 singles.

The 49ers dropped the doubles point with Armstrong and Dallara defeating Swarting and Weinrich, 8-7 (3), for the lone win at doubles.

Alawi and Manasse fell, 8-4, at No. 1 doubles to Geibert and Weinstein. Cantlay and Jeczmionka dropped the No. 3 doubles match, 8-2, to Holmberg and Weatherholt.

The Beach plays Ohio State on Tuesday at 2 p.m. in the second-to-last match of its current homestand.

Women’s Water Polo: LBSU splits first day at Lancer Invite

The 49ers (5-12) cruised past Concordia, 11-3, on Friday in the second of their four games at the Lancer Invitational in Riverside.

Lauren Sieprath paced LBSU with three goals as the 49ers stormed to an early lead and never looked back. The 49ers picked up a 4-0 lead in the first quarter behind a pair of goals from freshman Julie Lantz.

Goaltender Kristen Stragier made five saves and held the Eagles to three goals, a season-low for an LBSU opponent.

Maryland 10, Long Beach State 9

Sieprath notched a hat-trick in the 49ers’ loss to Maryland in the earlier match.

The 49ers took a 4-2 lead into the second half before Maryland stormed back to take a 6-5 lead in the final minute of the third period. Sieprath tied the match with nine seconds left.

In the final quarter, Maryland scored three unanswered goals to take a 9-6 lead, and after the 49ers pulled within one, a Simone Lewis score put the Terrapins ahead by two. LBSU added one last goal for the final tally.

The Beach plays tournament host Cal Baptist at noon to kick off Saturday action before closing out against Occidental at 3 p.m.